Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I googled it.
it is an area roughly where Iowa, Illinois, wisc and minn.. adjoin where there was no glacial disturbance...

my goose has a nest somewhere, tomorrow I will go searching.. I have a hunch she is behind the garage under the lean to like she was for the past 2 years..
will have to toss some straw down..

........jiminwisc.......

My little frizzle rooster has been getting an attitude. He has established dominance over the silkie roo in that coop and they get along fine. But, when I go in he tries to scare me off and sometimes lightly attack me. I decided this was not going to be the way it is. So, for a few days I would turn and greet his attack with my own display. Then I started picking him up whenever he tried it and would just hold him until he calmed down. So far this has worked and his attitude has improved. Just a thought for others with young roosters they want to keep but do not want a hassle with. It is worth a shot.

It's that time of year when the roo's act up. It's all about breeding season and the actions from them now is to be expected...in my opinion. One can gently show who is top of the order...but it might get tested from time to time, .... this time of year. One should never judge if a rooster is mean in the Spring during breeding season...even though they carry on all year...Spring is a special and different time.

bigz

Cool, Daethen! Driftless :highfive: !

Here are my girls, everyone!- had them for a week but it looks like a few of them are closer to two weeks old
IMG_20180318_102852846.jpg
I just moved them to a slightly bigger box and added a practice roost. In the planter (upper left) I added some chopped up beets and some grit - decided to sprinkle it after taking the picture- so that's their "treats" corner. Temp. has been hovering right around 85 this week and they seem very happy with that... I just got a temp. controlled electric cord to plug the heat lamp into. Even though they're only in their second week here, thinking of lowering the temp to 80 and see how they like it. By the time they grow out of this box, they're going into a bulk produce bin on an unheated porch. Will still be able to supliment heat with a lamp but would love to not have to... Thoughts on tossing a blanket over the top of the bin at night to help keep heat in? Maybe leave a corner open for ventilation?
My kids have a great time helping take care of them every morning and checking in them every evening! :jumpy

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_102906902.jpg
    IMG_20180318_102906902.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 2
PhotoGrid_1521393308579.jpg

At the end of the Ice Age I think, melting glaciers moving South never moved through the Driftless. Glaciers left behind soil and minerals called drift, so our area is drift-less. I think the topography is striking compared with areas nearby! If you've never visited this area, I highly recommend!! People come from all over the country to ride motorcycles here, among other things. We have the Kickapoo Valley Reserve which is a few hundred acres of contiguous nature preserve along the Kickapoo River... Great for camping, kayaking, tubing, camping, hiking, biking, etc, etc, etc... If you ever want to plan a visit, hit me up! I can give you a few tips on stuff to check out while you're here. :)
:wee
I love the Driftless!!

Good morning,
no problem lowering the heat.
just keep lowering it until they let you know it is too low..
I start my chicks out at 80F ..
If they cheep loudly and huddle they are cold.
just make sure the blanket doesn't sag and touch the heat lamp. I am not a big fan of heat lamps..
later on you can replace the heat lamp bulb with a 60W bulb.

.......jiminwisc...

ETA: you are only about 40 miles from each other.
last year we delivered two puppies to Reedburg.
they went on to Iowa from there..

Last edited:
Years ago a couple of friends I had (was living in Thorp at the time) that came from Minneapolis looked at the map and wondered why the roads in our area (the driftless) looked so curvy. I told them if they thought the map looked curvy they should see the actual roads, lol. They were both Harley riders. I told them is was a gorgeous area to ride through.

Years ago a couple of friends I had (was living in Thorp at the time) that came from Minneapolis looked at the map and wondered why the roads in our area (the driftless) looked so curvy. I told them if they thought the map looked curvy they should see the actual roads, lol. They were both Harley riders. I told them is was a gorgeous area to ride through.
and if you really want a thrill, ride along as a passenger with my DD driving the car.

Back
Top Bottom