Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

View attachment 1301201
At the end of the Ice Age I think, melting glaciers moving South never moved through the Driftless. Glaciers left behind soil and minerals called drift, so our area is drift-less. I think the topography is striking compared with areas nearby! If you've never visited this area, I highly recommend!! People come from all over the country to ride motorcycles here, among other things. We have the Kickapoo Valley Reserve which is a few hundred acres of contiguous nature preserve along the Kickapoo River... Great for camping, kayaking, tubing, camping, hiking, biking, etc, etc, etc... If you ever want to plan a visit, hit me up! I can give you a few tips on stuff to check out while you're here. :)
:wee
I love the Driftless!!
I would love some recommendations!
We visit Wyalusing and Devil's lake area frequently. I just love that area! So refreshing after seeing nothing but flat all the time.

The chicks spent their first night outside in the adult coop last night! They are 4 1/2 weeks old and have been getting day trips outside so far.
Now I'll be going to work and worrying about them all day! Haha. I know they're fine but it's certainly not going to be 60 today. :rolleyes:

image000002.jpg

IMG_20180318_105058.jpg

Chickens outside already!? I better get moving on my coop plans!

For camping, you've gotta check out KVR! They've got a good website where you can download maps of trails and campsites- about in the center of the reserve, Rockton Bar is a great place to end up for tastey and cheap burgers and a decent beer selection, including local Hillsboro Brewing Co. and Driftless (out of Soldier's Grove) Brewing Co. What kind of stuff do you like to do? Are you more of a camper or a glamper? Wine? Beer? Motorcycles? Golf? My post would be endless if I just listed everything!

Cool, Daethen! Driftless :highfive: !

Here are my girls, everyone!- had them for a week but it looks like a few of them are closer to two weeks oldView attachment 1301159I just moved them to a slightly bigger box and added a practice roost. In the planter (upper left) I added some chopped up beets and some grit - decided to sprinkle it after taking the picture- so that's their "treats" corner. Temp. has been hovering right around 85 this week and they seem very happy with that... I just got a temp. controlled electric cord to plug the heat lamp into. Even though they're only in their second week here, thinking of lowering the temp to 80 and see how they like it. By the time they grow out of this box, they're going into a bulk produce bin on an unheated porch. Will still be able to supliment heat with a lamp but would love to not have to... Thoughts on tossing a blanket over the top of the bin at night to help keep heat in? Maybe leave a corner open for ventilation?
My kids have a great time helping take care of them every morning and checking in them every evening! :jumpy

I'm getting 15 chicks this Wednesday. I got the upper portion of the coop cleaned and all set up. Went out this morning just to check and make sure all is working prior to the chicks arrival and the lamp was not on. Duh, I have it plugged into the timer! This is why I set up a few days in advance.

Pikes Peak state park is across the river from Prairie du Chien in Iowa. Beautiful overlook of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers meeting. And if you want to travel as far as Dubuque they have the Mississippi River Museum. Took my daughter there while our skunk was being neutered and she fell in love with the place.

On another note, my female dachshund looks like she will be having her pups later today.

I am planning on getting another half dozen EE chicks this year. Very happy with the ones from last year. I would love to get a small flock of guineas this year but I am afraid our knuckle head shepherds would do them in. Anyone with guinea advice?

Chickens outside already!? I better get moving on my coop plans!

For camping, you've gotta check out KVR! They've got a good website where you can download maps of trails and campsites- about in the center of the reserve, Rockton Bar is a great place to end up for tastey and cheap burgers and a decent beer selection, including local Hillsboro Brewing Co. and Driftless (out of Soldier's Grove) Brewing Co. What kind of stuff do you like to do? Are you more of a camper or a glamper? Wine? Beer? Motorcycles? Golf? My post would be endless if I just listed everything!

Yeah I got tired of waiting for spring to get my chicks... May have jumped the gun a little. XD

I am a hiking and camping person, tent camping out of a car and day hikes. Also like biking. (As an bicycle... No motorcycle.)
Nature lover :)
We also bring my dog most places.
Not huge beer/wine person. My fiance can't drink at all due to health condition and I can only drink a little.

Pikes Peak state park is across the river from Prairie du Chien in Iowa. Beautiful overlook of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers meeting. And if you want to travel as far as Dubuque they have the Mississippi River Museum. Took my daughter there while our skunk was being neutered and she fell in love with the place.

On another note, my female dachshund looks like she will be having her pups later today.

I am planning on getting another half dozen EE chicks this year. Very happy with the ones from last year. I would love to get a small flock of guineas this year but I am afraid our knuckle head shepherds would do them in. Anyone with guinea advice?

If I had to choose between guineas and chickens, the guineas would win.
shepherds are supposed to be smart dogs.
train them to leave the birds alone..

Ya, they are supposed to be smart but..... I am sure they could learn but I guess I don't have the time to do it. They love to terrorize the chickens on the outside of the run. I hate to risk the lives of the chicks to training.

Ya, they are supposed to be smart but..... I am sure they could learn but I guess I don't have the time to do it. They love to terrorize the chickens on the outside of the run. I hate to risk the lives of the chicks to training.

you could give them lessons while you are feeding the chickens.
put the dog on a leash and let him go in with you while you do the feeding.

you can't teach them if they are separated from the birds.

Back
Top Bottom