Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

My internet server made some changes in format. getting used to them.
why don't they just leave things alone ?

we got the neighbor unstuck in a short time.
was back home in the warm house is about a half hour..
this is the first time we met them,
seldom see them outside when we drive by.
Annie said that they have been living there for five years.. it seems to me that they just moved in..anyhow they are very friendly people..
it took me a long time , but I got the 3 screws drilled out and the float bowl off.
I cleaned all the passages and unplugged the idle jet. the hole is so tiny that a stick pin nor a fine sewing needle won't fit through.. I soaked it in carb cleaner and blew on it a few times until the blockage finally let loose.. I am glad I decided to go ahead and do it now..
tomorrow I have to go to Fleet and buy 3 new screws.. so I can put the float bowl back on..
got a call from the present (4th) owner of Cookie .. she wants to have her bred.
wanted Zeke to do it.. we gave her names of a few people who might be able to take care of it..
Wyo. a 4wd tractor..I am jealous.. it must not be full time , eh? that's good..

......jiminwisc.....

This tractor is really well laid out. The 4WD is a lever at the bottom of the side panel, and is marked as 4-WD. It's right underneath the High/Neutral/Low for the throttle? (I think I said that right, I am not machine tech smart at all, lol. High to drive around, Low to work, that is about all I know) The 4WD for our "big" Kuboda tractor is somewhere in the cab, below the seat I think... I can never find it. The John Deere garden tractor has a "locking differential" so whenever I started to slip, I would step on the button near the brake. See, DH taught me good - poor guy has a hard time learning me about mechanical stuff.

hello wisconsinites,

from south eastern wi but moved almost 2 years ago to upper peninsula mi a couple mins above wi. those in the mi thread suggested i check this thread out cause of how close i am to the northern wi border.

some things I'm looking for-
1. feed options for my 12 birds as all i have for feed options is tsc.
2. places to purchase birds from. i will drive a few hours for birds i don't like online options, and i don't like tsc. ( gotten all my birds from tsc so far and fed up with tsc lol)
3. people to trade or purchase from directly. to add bloodlines to keep genetics diverse for future breeding. and add new breeds as well.

my birds-
5 good laying new hampshire reds, 3 black australorps (2 hens 1 rooster) 4 cochin standards (2 white hens, 1 gold laced hen, 1 partridge rooster)

thanks in advance neighbors :)

@FnWeirdo Welcome to the Cheeseheads Thread. :welcome

I live between Green Bay and Marinette, so I tend to shop both areas. I was at TSC last weekend buying chicken supplies. I buy my feed at the Fleet Farm in Green Bay, but sometimes it seems to be a bit old. I think I am going to check out the Peshtigo Feed Mill, their website says that they will grind small batches of feed for hobby farms, so maybe they will have something for chickens.

What type of chickens are you looking for?
Are you looking to buy right now, or next spring?
I am going to need to get some chicks next spring, but haven't really decided what breeds I want. I brood out in the barn, so it is too late in the year for me to get day-olds.

@FnWeirdo Welcome to the Cheeseheads Thread. :welcome

I live between Green Bay and Marinette, so I tend to shop both areas. I was at TSC last weekend buying chicken supplies. I buy my feed at the Fleet Farm in Green Bay, but sometimes it seems to be a bit old. I think I am going to check out the Peshtigo Feed Mill, their website says that they will grind small batches of feed for hobby farms, so maybe they will have something for chickens.

What type of chickens are you looking for?
Are you looking to buy right now, or next spring?
I am going to need to get some chicks next spring, but haven't really decided what breeds I want. I brood out in the barn, so it is too late in the year for me to get day-olds.

ill have to check the website out. i drive all the way down to jefferson county about once every 2 months (family out there) so with some planning can do things on the way.

should of mentioned above that i am waiting for winter to come and go before brooding any more chicks. i brood in a unheated garage in a home made box/ pen. next year prob gonna let my cochins do the brood work for me for eggs will keep the box for when i pick up chicks.

for bloodlines id be interested in australorps and cochins, i like my reds but i don't think I'm gonna go further with them. id rather add new breeds when they stop laying. they have an attitude and like to bully.

for new breeds- I'm not looking for any breeds in particular as many interest me. mainly I'm interested in cold hardy dual purpose birds with friendly temperament. Id like birds that are on the more rare side as well. i feel its good to raise populations on those birds and i plan on breeding in the future. in other words I'm pretty open just trying to see whats around the area.

The website for Peshtigo Feed Mill doesn't say much, but it does give a phone number to call.

I am leaning towards getting some Buckeyes if I can find someone selling chicks. Maybe some Barred Rocks, or Australorps, or even a couple of Easter Eggers. My sister loves her Jersey Giant hen (but she is in Idaho). We give our extra eggs to some of DH co-workers and a couple of them have little kids who might get a kick out of colored eggs. I know I would, lol.

@wyoDreamer
i saw that and was planning on giving them a call to price check, if you beat me to the punch let me know lol.
what breeds do you have currently? perhaps we could do a chick exchange come spring. i plan on breeding my australorps come spring. they have a great disposition to other chickens and to humans. idk about laying yet they'll be laying in about an month maybe longer cause of cold.

this one is moe
IMG_20181029_164516.jpg

curly
IMG_20181029_164454.jpg
and larry with goliath ( white cochin) and tiny aka david (runt white cochin under goliath lol)
IMG_20181029_164729.jpg

also plan on mating my cochin rooster with one of the aurtalorps just to see what i get XD

smoke (cochin roo) moe (australorp) and bandit ( gold laced cochin hen)

IMG_20181029_164537.jpg

I just have Hybrid layer chickens for now. No Roos. And 14 Cornish Cross headed to the freezer this weekend and/or next weekend.

I have just been ordering my chicks from the local "feed" store (now out of business) and they get them straight from the Hatchery in Beaver Dam. Pretty limited selection through them. I did like their dual purpose "Sagitta", they lay well and get pretty big. But they die around 3 years old, so if I go with them again I will need to remember to butcher them before they get that old.

Back
Top Bottom