Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

We got the kraut done this weekend! :woot 43# of cabbage shredded! Due to can the 1st weekend of December.

1D69F810-4EC8-47B0-87F2-0209EC4B6AE1.jpeg

what a nice day it was today. I spent a little time working on Ollie. I got all the parts together and put the air cleaner on. scratch one item off of the to do list.
Dan spread a bunch of cardboard in amongst the rhubarb plants.
Could still use more cardboard. Have to put the word out to friends and relatives.
got a good buy on straw. big square bales. $2/ea..
that will go on top of the cardboard..
......jiminwaUSAu.......

One more day of nice weather....... and I doubt I’ll complete what i want to finish up...... I bought an Ethan Allen solid maple table that has three leaves for a steal. All it needs is refinishing. I am trying the get it stripped, sanded, and at least a coat of poly on it tomorrow and work....... I need that table for Thanksgiving!

Since the weather was nice, I did get the front door painted......I don’t know when that door was last painted.... it was once a burgundy color, but faded so much it was almost pink. So I tried to get some brown rustoleum paint, and apparently there is a shortage of brown rustoleum paint? I ended up getting oil rubbed bronze metallic paint; and the door looks 100% better.

The weekends are just not long enough.......

The weekends are just not long enough.......

The weekend isn't long enough, I agree! This weekend I was able to winterize the coop, put up the snow fence, winterize the outside of the house, put all the garden decorations into the garage and stake out the driveway for easy snowblowing. This weekend, the plan is to pull the concrete bird bath into the garage and then put up a new snow blocker by the mailbox.

We put down a 6' wide X 35' long sidewalk that goes from the garage to the house and we put down a 5' sidewalk from the side door of the house to the gate to the front yard. The sidewalks in the front yard will have to wait until next year. But, we will be able to snow-blow the main walkway this winter!!

it sounds like everybody is getting ready for winter. we are pretty well set here.
all I have to do is unplug three window AC's and shut the windows. I have the AC's mounted so that I don't have to move them.
just stuff the cord out and close the windows.
Dan got cardboard spread out in the rhubarb patch. then he used up three bales of oat straw and covered the patch good and deep.
Not going to get much done for about a week.. cold, rain and possible snow. yuck.
will put the tractor in the garage.
I like sour kraut when it is about half done.
It still tastes like cabbage and is now too sour.
had a good PT session yesterday. came home and took a nap.
bought a Glass Nickle pizza. first time.
it was good, but we agreed that we like Sam's Pizza better.. Probably because we grew up on Sam's.
........jiminwaUSAu.......

I still need to wrap the bees........ I have been following a few beek groups and they advise for WI not to wrap until thanksgiving...... so I will need to pick up a roll of roofing felt and some of the thick pink insulation boards...... I have a bunch of hay bales to stack up around the hives for a windbreak too......

Moved the meaties out of the house last weekend........ shocked no losses due to the temperature changes, no losses since the first week actually. I’ll be happy to get them but here and done with for the year.

Hang onto your hat here today. The molt is full blown now...feathers everywhere. Lost a young hen to a unknown 4 legger....hens have been locked up since Sunday, until I figure out who the culprit is.
I still need to cut my cabbage. Do you hot water bath your kraut bl4?

Stay Safe....bigz

Back
Top Bottom