Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

FFF once again. Hope you had a good one too.
Tonight it was baked cod, breaded shrimp, home made slaw and fresh ho made tater salad. Washed it down with a couple old fashion's.
Seeds arrived from sand hill preservation, just in time.

Stay Safe.... bigz

Good morning peeps! I have a question....seeing that I've never had chicks this early in the season, I need assistance please. The chicks are ~5wks old and mostly (95%) feathered.
With a heat lamp and warmer in the upper part of the coop, would you move them outside with the expected temps ahead?
I'm leaning toward they side of the should be OK, but wanted other opinions.

Attachments

• 5661DAB7-925D-4DD5-843F-5E59496E84D0.png
    5661DAB7-925D-4DD5-843F-5E59496E84D0.png
    595.7 KB · Views: 0
While I do prefer the muddled bl4, however a bottle of jero works in a pinch.
With the young peeps like that, I always used two lights spread apart just in case one burns out gets broken. I also form chicken wire over the guard to keep any broken lamp from falling on the bedding in case it would happen. If one lamp would go out, the peeps would indeed end up chilled.
I just simply sleep better at night knowing it's good to go for sure.
2" of the white stuff here this morning. Most of it melted today thank goodness.

Stay Safe....bigz

I haven't been on the puter for a few days. been busy. Annie fell last Saturday and fractured a bone in her knee. I am playing nursemaid and goffer. Thursday we will find out if they are going to do surgery or just wait and see..
otherwise , just waiting patiently for real spring to arrive.
......jiminwaUSAu.....

Good morning, Cheeseheads! Just stopping in quick to see what's up.

I have to get outside and clean out and set up the brooder for 20 Jumbo Cornish that are coming next Tuesday. It's the big experiment - a couple of our friends want to go in with us on some meat birds. Deal is that I raise them here in a tractor we are building, and they come help us on butcher day. Part of the deal is that they will come and feed/water if we leave for vacation on weekends. I have set up a spreadsheet to track expenses and see how much to charge them. Luckily, they all realize that it won't be cheaper than the grocery store.

@jvls1942 Sorry to hear about Anne, hope she recovers quickly. That has to be painful.

I have noticed that as I get older, I heal slower...

I need to go clean out the brooder and get sert up for 20 broiler chicks next Tuesday. Hope the cold, freezing temps are about done. Those babies will outgrow my brooder space by the end of the month and will need to go out into the movable tractor DH is building for me.

Seems like chick week is next week. My 30 arrive next Tuesday as well. I want to build a mini tractor/brooder for them, once they have been in the house for two weeks.... I wish I did not need to keep them in the house at all really, but I do not have an option.

Back
Top Bottom