Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Wyo, glad to hear the tomato is doing OK.
Bl4, even full grown dogs is like having a
3yr old kid. You have to feed them, open doors, entertain, scold....
we got about an inch of rain . No lightning .
So far I got 8 tomatoes in pots, Two tubs of strawberries, one tub of beets, one tub of beans.. Those are in the yard by the house. Down by the road I have two pear trees and two apple trees, asparagus, rhubarb, garlic, and grapes.
I am keeping up with watering and everything looks good.
I finally mowed some of the grass. collected about a pickup load of hay. Mulched the trees real good with some of it.
Next year will be so much easier with no major things to plant.
......jiminwaUSAu.....
How old are you pear trees?
I’ve always wanted pear trees but I’ve heard they are hard to keep alive in Wisconsin or at least not many people have had luck with them.

Oh my a lot has happened with you all!
Jim- thoughts to you and Annie for quick recovery. How are your eyes doing now?
Mel- the pups are just too cute! How's everything else going?
Here we've got 3 of 7 chicks laying now, so far 2 brown and one olive.
We finally got our 1st rain last week, TG! I'd been dragging the tractor around watering early last week as the fruit trees were starting to wilt a bit. Garden is doing OK but with all the heat a lot is setting seed too early. Some of the stuff I just let go to seed this year like the asparagus and rhubarb.
Theo is getting on up in years as I mentioned before but he's still the best guard dog ever! The next few weeks will be hard as he hates fireworks and the nut jobs around us like to set them off frequently as if everyday is a holiday. Ugh!!
Neighbor is building a bridge into the ravine between us. We are curiously observing. 🤣

Our English Setter was gun shy, as well as thunderstorm and fireworks scared. I found some chew treats that are all natural and settle him down - not tranquillizers calm, but not terrified either. They are called Quiet Moments and really seem to help.

This is a screen shot taken from a bing search for "Quiet Moments dog treats".
1624456824370.png

Now that he is old dog deaf - none of those things bother him much anymore, lol. I will give him a couple at bed time to help keep him asleep and not whining to be let out of the crate.

A friend of our uses a CBD product to calm down their Jack Russel terrier, but it kind turns him into a zombie.

I just planted the pear trees this spring. I got them from Fleet Farm. They are supposed to be for Zone 4. we will see ..
My friend has a nice pear tree. He lives about 5 miles north of me. I also know of a pear tree right in the city of Wausau.. So they do exist..
All the things that I mentioned were planted either last fall of this spring.
My neighbor had a beagle that was gun shy. I wanted to use it for hunting rabbits. I put it on a leash and took a BB gun and repeatedly shot it until the dog got used to it. Then I used a cap gun. Same thing. then I used a .22. He got accustomed to it very quickly. Then out came the shot gun. He barely flinched. I did all this in just a couple of hours. We had a lot of fun hunting after that.

Jim, we plan on doing the same with the two pups..... hubs already shoots nuisance birds from inside the house, so they know the noise.

With the 4th coming up I think they should both be ok. I have a theory that pups who are not exposed to thunderstorms and the like at a young age are the most reactive to loud noises like thunder and fireworks (Pups born in the fall/winter months).

I have 3 Pear trees, think they 7 years 8 years now time passes so fast not sure. 3 of them. Had alot of pears first time last year, otherwise have had pears not so many
I have alot of heavy soil, heavy clay. Those trees are planted in heavier soil.
I did have 2 peach trees lived about 4 years and had a huge harvest of peaches. Not as big as Georgia peaches but just as sweet. The fourth year the trees where in full flower, leafed out, beautiful. Then leaves started to turn brown on 1 then the other within month both dead. I tried to figure what killed them , but never did.
Back to pear trees, I wish I pruned the leader sooner as they are standard trees. I pruned them very hard last year on top as I have pruned them before on top to get the sides to grow out more. They are growing for the stars.
Also since I have a more akaline soil I mix a acidfier with water and pour around fruit trees couple times more in spring early summer.
I plant trees anymore I only plant a few. I use tubes on them if smaller if larger tree I use some type of large guard and a tree guard for the lower part of tree so rabbits don't eat the bark in winter. Otherwise I find most the trees die from the weather or animals or both and stress weakens the trees to disease and bugs.
Sorry to hear the loss of trees planted been a rough spring with the dry weather, specially if in a light soil.

Another FFF here already....tonight it's the deep fryer with gills and fresh cut fries...cole slaw of course and some store bought rye bread.
Garden here is looking good so far.....but...kinda like don't count your chicks before they hatch. First planting of radish is now over....the second planting in August is always a good one too....even better in my opinion.

Stay Safe...bigz

I hope my pear trees grow to maturity. They are off to a good start. The two apple trees have leaves all over the trunk. I hope they put out some branches..
Nice rain we had. all day, we were on the edge of the system, so no hail or wind. Stevens Point had golf ball sized hail. they are 30 miles south of us.
My beans should be coming up any day now. beets are due about July 1. Lettuce is just coming up. I am not impressed with the raised bed strawberries. I think I planted them too late.
i have to get down to the perennial garden and backfill the asparagus.. Also everything down there is due for some fish emulsion.
My tomatoes are looking great. Have some small tomatoes on a couple of them. I think they are cherry tomatoes. I have to check the tags.
...jiminwaUSAu......

Back
Top Bottom