Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

It just started raining here. It is coming straight down, no wind.
FFF6F58A-C488-4976-BBA2-C45441F50FE0.jpeg

slight drizzle this morning too.
I had a couple inches of compost in my ATV wagon to go in the corn patch. It got left outside in the rain. It is now full of compost tea, lol! I am filling gallon jugs of the liquid wonder and doing to save it to use on my pepper plants. The tomatoes greened up nicely but the peppers seem to have a slight yellowing of the leaves going on - not sure what that is about.

slight drizzle this morning too.
I had a couple inches of compost in my ATV wagon to go in the corn patch. It got left outside in the rain. It is now full of compost tea, lol! I am filling gallon jugs of the liquid wonder and doing to save it to use on my pepper plants. The tomatoes greened up nicely but the peppers seem to have a slight yellowing of the leaves going on - not sure what that is about.
This is my first year planting peppers, so I am not an expert. Could the yellowing be from too much water?

I thought that and dug a little between plants - it looks like I need to leave the soaker hoses running longer because it was dust dry dirt about 2 inches down. Although we have had 5 inches of rain since then.
I mulched with straw this year - first time doing that. Maybe that is a problem?
My tomatoes seem to be loving the mulch and soaker hoses. The 4 pepper plants are at the end of a row of tomatoes.

Peppers do not like alot of fertilizer. Epsons salt. will turn the leaves a dark green. An old tale is to put some matches under the plants when transplanting. Sulfer?
My friend with sandy loam soil in town grows fantastic pepper plants with loads of peppers. Which is both bell and hot,
Here with heavier soil my peppers grow great, but as far as bell peppers will hardly get any peppers. I do get hot peppers though.
My wifes garden this year I got couple loads of well composted llama shit I also put alittle 19 19 19 fertilizer in it.
Some of the garden plants will want alot of fertilizer , but some don't.
So there are many thrift book stores on the internet and in town, library etc. If you were to get into gardening get a book.
Just a suggesting. I have couple books actually.

Mulch is great specially for sandy soil, we use alot of straw here. Do not ever use hay as mulch unless it is a very high grade alfalfa or high grade hay without the weed seed. The mulch will not hurt you pepper plants. The only downside with straw is eventually weed seed, grass seed will germinate in the straw, upside water your garden and the weeds come out easy.
WE plant quite a few pepper plants as my wife picks the leaves and uses the leaves in soup.

If you are going to use straw for mulch, you have to water heavy the first couple of times to get through the straw.
I leave my straw bales exposed to the weather. that takes care of the weeds before I use the straw. just don't lay the string side on the ground. strings rot fast.
Where do you get alpaca/llama shit ? I know a guy who has alpacas, but he is big into gardening.
I got all the cherry trees planted as of this morning. Finally.
Now I can concentrate of the container garden. Tomatoes are over 3 feet long. Long, because I haven't tied them to stakes yet. Doing some of that today..
I have 10 in containers and 12 more to do.
.......jiminwaUSAu......

Gotta love the gardens and all their bounty. Mine is doing great so far, but I always wait till harvest to be sure how well things are going. I have a huge problem with cucumber beetles.....they devour all the fresh winter squash leaves as well as the pickles....5% sevin dust works well, but a daily task to keep things going to harvest.
Baked cod loins tonight for FFF....along with breaded shrimp and tater salad and cole slaw....
Enjoy the weekend....nice to live in a free nation, eh!

ahh the joy cucumber beetles, potato beetles. I cant remember how I treated cucumber beetles. Potato beetles I try to always get the earliest mating pairs by hand. Then get first batch of orange eggs they lay under the leaves. Never ending job. Also heavy straw mulch and shake the potato plants of any new larva, with heavy mulch the larva have a hard time to get back on the plants feed. I noticed if I could get the early mating pairs it really helped with beetle control.
AH yes and the squash vine borers.......

We do not do the big garden anymore, its all scaled down now.

LLama shit I get from a neighbor down the road bout 3 or 4 miles. The same person I buy my rye seed from to seed my sweet corn areas after it is picked. I also get corn from him.
The corn I grind and mix with soybean meal after that is mixed I mix with equal part store bought feed. It saves little money.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom