Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

enough confusion.

. Today, the Hmong family brought me 54 more eggs to hatch .. I am back to double decking the trays again.

somehow a goose egg managed to come loose and find it's way all the way to the bottom of the bator.. It is back in the top tray again..

In the meantime, in the other bator, a turkey hatched.. I missed an egg when I transferred them yesterday..
Seems the eggs I miss are the ones that hatch the best.. LOL It was quite comical, All I could see was a leg kicking up and down like a chorus girl.. LOL She is much happier now, in the hatcher all right side up and drying off..

well, I am off to set up chick TV #4.. these newbies do not do well with week old siblings..

I don't want to move anything out to the coop brooders until I do some major cleaning out there.. everything hinges on a couple of nice warm days.. come on sunshine !!

Thanks guys for the
hugs.gif

PPD is the pits, but luckily I am not having any bad thoughts along with them. I really think I just enjoy to cry to get that release of endorphines to let me know everything is gonna be okay. I'm having a hard time with hubby's new job...as I know when I go back to work he will be working 6am-4pm and I will be working 2:30pm-11pm. By the time I get home he will be in bed, and when I wake up he will be gone to work. He is working either 5-10 hour shifts, or 6-10 hour shifts (during the summer/busy season) and we will only see each other once a week! That's hard on me, as my hubby is my best friend and we talk about everything together. Granted the overtime hes getting paid pretty much pays for BOTH boys to be in daycare, which is what we really needed. That way his normal salary isn't tied up paying just to be able to go to work!!

I am also kinda frustrated that I haven't been able to get outside to get into the garden. Hubby tilled it up a bit for me yesterday, then ditched me to go fishing with friends. My dad had Damien, so I thought for sure I'd get out there! Lo and behold, Hunter was being fussy. The wind was too high to shove him (I'M KIDDING...place him) in the sling and take him with me, so in the house I sat, and when he finally calmed down my dad came back with Damien! Sheesh! I wanted to go out today, but Damien just went down for a nap, and by the time he wakes up hubby will be home and we are running to Lens crafters and Steins. Oh well. I'd rather get out of the house, been cooped up all week! I can attempt again tomorrow, Damien will be in daycare as I have a doctors appt for Hunter.

I think coming on here and talking to all of you more frequently will help. With DH gone I need someone else to ramble my useless ideas too, and just a place to gather my thoughts.

I made a canning list for this year, things I want to can:
Green Beans, Corn, Creamed Corn, Chicken Stock, Beef Stock, Veggie Stock, Roasted Red Bell Peppers, Spaghetti Sauce, Tomatoes (diced, whole, roasted, paste...etc), Pickled Jalepenos, Salsa, Pineapple salsa, Mango Salsa, Pickles (maybe lucky enough to do fermented dill pickles!), Chili (venison or beef...), Chicken Soup, Baked Beans, French onion soup, Split pea soup
There are other soups/meals I want to try canning, but I figured I better just pick a few that we enjoy, and try new ones if I have time/next year lol. A lot of this will also depend if I get a pressure canner! (Please oh please Universe! And a cow!)

Raimnel) Thanks *hugs* And I would totally go with a mini cow, but realistically I think we'd need more milk than a gallon a day! We currently go through about 3 gallons a week, but I also want a cow to make my butter, cheese and all that fun. Plus, I have some family that would graciously take gallons of milk if we had a surplus
smile.png
If I could just make our yogurt, ricotta and mozz at home, I would save...gosh. Probably a hundred a month? We go through a lot of dairy. Not to mention if we ventured into cheddar/gouda/parmesan...sheesh. It makes me sick to think how much we spend on cheese alone. ....Not to mention I think my heart is tied to those adorable Jerseys
love.gif

I got my tomato seedlings transplanted into bigger pots. Next time, I am just going to plant them in those pots, as seperating them out of the egg cartons was rough on their little roots. They all look perky and happy this morning though, so hopefully I didn't kill any! Gotta go and get more flats, and a few more lights to really get these guys going. My eggplants and some peppers are up and I want to get them potted up quickly!

Having tons of fun today--so far we've got two chicks hatched--one Barnyard Special courtesy of Teri O and one Maran from Hurley! Two more are pipped.

How long does a hatch generally take?

The rest of my day (when it wasn't being spent over the incubator) was spent cleaning two fleeces and getting some inside work done. I'm excited for more babies over here, and I'll keep you updated!

Good evening all

L4 so sorry about your loss

Raiquee- hang in there, I had some feelings like that after I adopted my boys. I think it is like Christmas, you prepare for months and then it is done, always a slight let down

Terri O - I hope you dog is ok, I don't trust my chows to run free there, My others yes, Luckily I have a big fenced in back yard. No dog parks for us
I want to see pics of your coop

Hurley,wanna come over and do my yard work

WiChick,congrats on the move

Well I spent another chilly afternoon working on the coop, not to long because I had to make dinner for the boys, When I get involved on projects I tend to not get hungry and forget the time. I did get another panel hardware clothed and the door attached and the roof is just about ready for the metal.

I changed the chicks bedding, Wow they are getting so big. When I picked them up some of them flapped, we have wing feathers for sure and also I see tail feathers getting longer
I bleached out their waterers because the smelt so bad, indescribable smell. They are going thru a lot of feed and water. I need to raise the lights some more. So far the basement bathroom doesn't smell, I imagine in a few weeks it will. I am hoping it will get warm in 3 weeks, then I can put them in the coop without worrying too much. well I better go do laundry.

have a good night everyone.

Just came back from the wake.... the line out the door was at least 75 people when I left. I have no idea how our tiny Presbyterian Church is going to handle the crowd. The meal afterwards is going to be aa local banquet hall just so they can accomodate everyone

Apparently what happened is that she and her DH had a dinner party on Friday night. After the company left he went to bed and she decided to clean up a bit before heading up to bed. At some point she slipped and fell, hitting herself in the head by her temple. Her DH found her the next morning and it was too late by then to do anything.

I am NOT looking forward to this funeral. I could barely keep it together when I was with her sons and DH.....

Anyway, I cut the soap from yesterday and it looks and smells good so I think my BIL will be happy.

Thinking about all of the things we need to do to this house just to put in on the market....... ugh, no time for anything.

The ducks are looking good though, fat and sassy and Jules is a good mamma (so far). I think after I get about a dozen or so eggs I will get them into the incubator so I will have 4 week old ducklings for the bash. Somebody better order some warm weather for that weekend! Like the 80's!!!

Ok, off to run my jeans throught the wash and try to warm up!

Pretty sure a black bear killed my Toggenburg doe tonight! About 10 pm I went outside with a flashlight, found one goat and one missing. Walked around the house and there was a black bear very close to me. Ran and got the dog. This bear doesn't want to leave the yard. Not afraid of me or the dog. So I have a goat in my garage! As well as some chickens. There is potential for it to get into my coop and another pen I have set up. This is scary and frustrating. My goats are like dogs I'm so afraid of finding my dead goat. Or parts of her. I apparently need electric fence or a livestock guardian.
sad.png

Two eggs that pipped didn't make it. They were going like mad early this morning and had a tiny hole in the tops, and then...nothing. No movement from late this morning until now. I pulled a teeny piece of shell from the outside of each hole to see if there was any movement or breathing, and there was nothing. In the morning I saw the tips of beaks opening and closing. Sad, but hoping for at least two or three more to hatch, even though there's not much movement anywhere. Two of them are maybe moving a bit, of the nine remaining.

Quote:
this is one of my biggest fears walking the dogs at 4:00am, running into a bear. Black bears are supposedly afraid of man, but It seems like we are more afraid of them. I imagine they have just woken up and are hungry. Good luck on the bear. Are you located in the north, central or southern wi?

David

I am in Amery, so Northwest I guess. I went out this morning and still no goat. I walked around and don't see any blood. My other goat did not want to go back in the pen. He hasn't made a sound since I found him last night and he is usually very vocal.

BlackBrook, so sorry about your goat.
hugs.gif

Kee, sorry about the chicks
sad.png

Thought on Sunday I was going to have to take DH to hospital ( he has heart problems)... I wish he wouldn't have been here to see Stanley pass.. it has been so hard for him. He's one who tries to save everything and Stanley came into our lives at a particularly difficult time and he is terribly broken up that he couldn't save him. We often forgot how old Stanley was, as he still retained his puppish enthuasium and other than the grey hairs on his face he showed no real signs of aging, although recently he had slowed down a little.

One of our first orders of business once we get settled is to find a new companion for little Murphy. Since Stanley's passing he's been so distraught. Murphy was a rescue who had been running free and being beaten up by other dogs in the neighborhood (a min. schnauzer, so everything was bigger than him!) and he had become very dog aggressive. Stanley was the only dog he never tried to attack and spending the past couple of years with Stanley helped him turn into a calmer, less aggressive dog and he even respects our cats, no small feat as he used to chase all the neighborhood cats and squirrels. We hope to find another large breed puppy, figuring he will feel less threatened by a youngster. It just breaks my heart right now to watch him go through this, always looking for his buddy and whinning. Usually a boisterous little fellow, full of energy and quite vocal ,now so quiet and calm..
sad.png
He lost the only doggie friend he ever had.

71237_dsc_0875.jpg

Have today off and it's time to get serious about sorting out what we're moving and not. Have to call the movers and set up a time for an estimate. Thankfully all I'll have to do this time is pack it up and they can move it! Leaving most of the bigger furniture behind (going to Good Will or Salvation Army) as it's just as expensive to move as replace and some of it won't work real well in our new home.

Wishing the move could have been made sooner so I would have had time to get some garden prep work done, but doesn't sound like the weather would have been to cooperative anyway. Guess I'll just work on getting beds ready for next year. Hoping that I can still get in some fruit trees and berry bushes this year, but don't know if by the first or second week of June if it'll be too late. Need to check out planting dates for the area and see if I still have a shot at getting anything planted this sping.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom