Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Cind-The house would need some work from what I can tell (we will see it this weekend hopefully), has 5+ acres, and zoned AG2. From what I can tell the answer should be yes to the chicken friendly (but I'd need that in writing). I haven't found anything directed at chickens in the ordinances that I've come across, only a 5 acre minimium for hooved animals (not including pygmy goats and pot belly pigs).

Mis- there are a lot of books out there that we could recommend (which is what I found most helpful initially). A few for general info would be: Raising Chickens for Dummies or The Complete Idiot's Guide to Raising Chickens. For more detailed information, I really enjoyed: A small-scale poultry flock by Harvey Ussery. This website has a lot of great information/resources as well to fill in gaps after reading. First off, can you legally keep chickens? If yes, go to your library and get all of the books that they have, read up, and dive in!

To all of you with goats. I had always wanted a few goats (once I have land), but I was reading some info on them last night and it seems like they are more care and expense than I originally thought. Any thoughts/comments?

Quote: Thanks! Just a quick question though- my goats live in a pen with my horse and chickens. I just throw a few slabs of alfalfa hay and once in a while a bundle of corn stalks with the cob on them in there on the ground outside. They eat it right up, but should I get a feeder?

To all of you with goats. I had always wanted a few goats (once I have land), but I was reading some info on them last night and it seems like they are more care and expense than I originally thought. Any thoughts/comments?
We have 2 little boy fainting goats and so far I haven't noticed anything particularly difficult with them as far as their care goes. Mine just do their thing but when I go out there they remind me of dogs. Wanting to give kisses and have their tummies scratched. Mine live with my chickens and mini horse. As far as feed expense goes I can't answer that because we live on a farm, so I give them what the cows get- hay.

Judge- If they eat off the ground, then I don't think I'd worry about getting a feeder.

Chikenscratch- Other than their feed (we only feed grain in the winter or to pregnant does-otherwise just hay), the only other expenses are wormers and vaccinations, which we administer ourselves and hoof trimming, which we do ourselves also.

Hi Wisconsinites! I'm in the Stillwater/Lake Elmo area - just over the river. Am seriously looking into getting started in this crazy hobby! I would love to connect with some folks in the area to visit and see how things should be done - in order to start off well. Any connections would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Mis pollitos-

I probably am too far away also. I'm about 2 hours way. I have family north of Stillwater, so am familiar with where you are. My daughter (who is on here somewhere) lives in Amery, WI. That's only about 45 minutes away from Stillwater (when the bridge was available to use anyway
roll.png
). She has a pretty good set up for chickens. A really nice coop that her husband made for her. If you're interested, I'm sure she'd welcome the visit.

Good afternoon everyone! Welcome MisP! And I think I forgot to welcome ND too! So who is your daughter in Amery? Is she OUR Amery dweller?
ep.gif

The smilies are easy to use Snoozter, just click on the smilie above and choose which one you want to add and click it! That's it! Easier than even pictures!

Glad you guys have enjoyed the videos...that goat also has a brother Cind. They are about 15 years old I think...their sister passed away years ago. They were triplets. This one is our with the horses because he can jump the hog panel that is one wall of the goat pen! The others cant get out except for the Nigerian Dwarf and he lives on a cable now cause I got tired of putting him back in! Judge I think the stalk with corn idea is great! I rarely give my goats any grain except for the last month or so of pregnancy...that is IF they cooperate and get into a stall for me! I am going to try hard this year because of all the people that wanted goat meat this year and I couldnt help all of them! Deli--that was a good article that you linked to about goats...thanks. And YES, they are the fussiest creatures on the planet! MXM was surprised to hear that when she was here. Mine will eat the hay that has fallen out of the feeder but that is because I feed 100% alfalfa and they want every leaf! If I feed a grass bale they will pull it out and pee on it and NOTHING wants it then! LOL!

I am feeling really lazy today...worked this morning and now really dont want to do anything! Ah, but I MUST! Maybe just 15 minutes of work...I will set my timer!
TerriOprobablybackin15orso!

Afternoon all!
Finally got all caught up! Had some stuff to do this morning and had to go meet a nutritionalist (sp) for DH's diet. *sigh*

Well, the BO I was treating died yesterday afternoon. Had a feeling that was going to happen. Since everyone else is fine I'm thinking it was her. Other then that everyone is doing great!

Kristi-F&F carries the Nature Wise lay pellet. I get my feed from Jack and Dicks in Janesville. Even though I have an "in" sometimes getting the "in" to get me feed is hard! He's got so much on his plate that I just get my feed myself!! LOL!! I've met the group at Day's feed and they are great!

BigZ- I can get the feed for donations for this coming years Bash...let me know what you want me to get for the raffle and how many bags of each......

Welcome to the forum MisP!

Well, as per usual can't remember what I wanted to say! So....later all!

Thanks for replying! Yes, we can have chickens, but thank you for mentioning that. I'll have to check out the local library. Starting to get excited - just have to infect my husband with this fever & start planning a coop!

Back
Top Bottom