Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Carol...you were off a few...42 at start, we went down to 31 at lockdown and 25 hatched. One pipped, but I think it didn't make it. Not sure on the last 8. Will leave them in until tomorrow night or Monday, but not much hope left. Of the 25 babies, only one is hunky and needs another warm bath and one may have spradle leg as it can't seem to get up good. Otherwise they are healthy and with about 10 varieties of bird, I know what all are except two black birds. Ad one polish without a top hat from a breeder. Must be a defect. Oh we'll still tiny and cute.

Otherwise just getting ready to find my stash for some baskets.

Last edited:
WOW what a nice hatch. congrats. Do you sell eggs for hatching? I ve noticed several of you have swap pages at the bottom of your posts. what does this refer to.Also a person or two refered to auctions, were was this info at, was it b y c? I m familier with E=Bay, is there a wisc. auction, swap page somewhere? Does anyone have midget white turkey eggs or chicks. thanx zekewhatchingbasketball

Swap pages are usually for the swap threads. People exchange eggs or other goods, like jellies, crafts, books, etc. There are a bunch of different swaps, with different rules and themes (there is a seed swap, waterfowl egg swap, and others.)

Auctions are under the Buy-Sell-Trade section of BYC. Usually they are for eggs and live birds. Some people post wanted ads there too, you could try that for the midget whites.

Carol...you were off a few...42 at start, we went down to 31 at lockdown and 23 hatched. One pipped, but I think it didn't make it. Not sure on the last 8. Will leave them in until tomorrow night or Monday, but not much hope left. Of the 23 babies, only one is hunky and needs another warm bath and one may have spradle leg as it can't seem to get up good. Otherwise they are healthy and with about 10 varieties of bird, I know what all are except two black birds. Ad one polish without a top hat from a breeder. Must be a defect. Oh we'll still tiny and cute.

Otherwise just getting ready to find my stash for some baskets.
did any of the eggs I gave you open up?

My hatch is very slow. I have 3 of my Wheaten Marans hatched, and 1 blue Breda. I had a polish partially zip but die. I do have more pips, but we'll see. I have the feeling of epic failure is about to happen. Soooo...Deli and CC gonna give me Orp eggs? :-D

JJ... the two olive eggers look great- they are a reddish/yellow color with some black mixed in on one of them. Very fluffy(remind me the mix?), one cukoo is here- black and white and the blue egg layer is here, although dark colored rather than wheaten, so maybe the blue dad you mentioned? Still have two of yours left in the incubator. Not sure if they are hatching or not.
Thanks again- they look awesome.

Good evening--a quick note before I head off to sleepy land.

All the people came today...the think I forgot was that I was to watch the kids for a few hours tonight...they ended up not coming. Kristip's kids need to come over when it is nicer...maybe I can harness some of that energy?
lau.gif
The lady for the goose eggs had a couple of cute kids too...I gave them some quail eggs to play with...they were planning on hardboiling them.
I made some buns today so we could have tenderloin sandwiches. GOt them into the oven and opened the bag for the meat...OMG it was SPOILED or well on it's way!
sickbyc.gif
Great! I got back into the car and headed back to the store to exchange it. So got it sliced and pounded. I made some steamed broccoli and some hashbrowns along with fresh sauteed mushrooms and sliced tomatoes to go on the sandwiches. My GF buns were DELISH! I toasted them in the broiler to firm them up a little. Dinner was great and I even have a LO bun to take along to make my ham sandwich tomorrow at my bro's.
I also made a curried buckwheat salad. I think it will be good. Hard to tell cause the flavors have to meld yet.

Been boiling that syrup ALL DAY! It never really went to a rolling boil; I am thinking that our grill burner isnt powerful enough. At this rate it will take a week to boil down! Good thing the dog crashed into one of my 5 gal pails and spilled the whole thing! Now I dont have to boil that one!
somad.gif
smack.gif

Well I am fading fast...I better get outside before I fall asleep!
TerriOlookingforwardtohittingthehay

Oh...does anyone have other spradle leg solutions beyond the bandaid trick...tried it and could not get to work. Not true splits, just one leg that won't stay under chick....ideas?

JJ... the two olive eggers look great- they are a reddish/yellow color with some black mixed in on one of them. Very fluffy(remind me the mix?), one cukoo is here- black and white and the blue egg layer is here, although dark colored rather than wheaten, so maybe the blue dad you mentioned? Still have two of yours left in the incubator. Not sure if they are hatching or not.
Thanks again- they look awesome.
cool beans!

photos might help me, but, The dark brown eggs where cukoo marens covered hopefully by the wheaten Am. roo

the blue ones where the same roo covering my one black Am.

and the green one was from my EE hen.

Oh...does anyone have other spradle leg solutions beyond the bandaid trick...tried it and could not get to work. Not true splits, just one leg that won't stay under chick....ideas?

I had read on another thread here this week of someone using painter's tape. It worked better for them. They folded the tape back on it's self for the part around the legs so it didn't stick to them. Maybe give that a try?

Quote: Yes..I sell eggs for hatching..and chicks
My hatch is very slow. I have 3 of my Wheaten Marans hatched, and 1 blue Breda. I had a polish partially zip but die. I do have more pips, but we'll see. I have the feeling of epic failure is about to happen. Soooo...Deli and CC gonna give me Orp eggs? :-D
Yes...I will have Orp eggs
I seen someone mention pip cleaners(I dont like the idea)..I personally have never had it, I do not know if they work. Other put them in a small bottom deep cups to force them to use legs close together and push.(I thought this one made more sense)
Quote:
Quote: Also a great idea..

I have my last two pips..
fl.gif

Should be 31 hatched by morning.

Back
Top Bottom