Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Happy Easter!!

Our ham is in the oven and cheesy potatoes will go in later. Just us at home this year. Decided to stay home instead of heading to my Grandparents this year. We did enough driving around this week for spring break already.

One more chick is out this morning, making it 27 out of the 33 that went into lock down. No more pips so this might be it. Of the 6 left 5 are shipped eggs so I'm very happy over all with this first hatch in the Dickey. Some of the shipped eggs were mis-labeled. There were 5 coronation susssex and 5 salmon faverolles from the same person, but I hatched 7 Fav's and 3 coronation.
roll.png
I had those two in one section of the hatcher together knowing that the 5 toes and feathered feet would set the two apart. Those Faverolles are so cute! They are the fluffiest and have the biggest chubby cheeks of them all!

So my hatch summary is: Set 46 -Locked Down 33 - Hatched 27 (still keeping the last few in just in case)

Set Pulled at LD LD Hatched
Mine
SFH 9 1 clear, 1 quitter 7 6

TNBEARCHICK
SFH 7 2 clear 5 5

CrFarm
BCM 8 1 clear 7 3

MrsMoonCat
Salmon Fav 5 0 5 3

Coronation 6 1 blood ring 5 7

W/BW Am 11 7 clear 4 3
TOTALS 46 13 33 27

58.7% from set
81.8% from lock down

I like to keep records of this kind of stuff.
big_smile.png
If you set 5 Coronation in LD and hatched 7..I want to know your secret please..I want to learn to do that too..(I bet you switched your BCM numbers)
lau.gif

Last edited:
I've got 19 more eggs to set today.
These are all shipped.

BBS Ameraucana
Super Blue Egg Layers (SBEL) These are Ameraucanas crossed with Leghorns and Minorcas, huge eggs!
Crested Cream Legbars

Happy Easter!!

Our ham is in the oven and cheesy potatoes will go in later. Just us at home this year. Decided to stay home instead of heading to my Grandparents this year. We did enough driving around this week for spring break already.

One more chick is out this morning, making it 27 out of the 33 that went into lock down. No more pips so this might be it. Of the 6 left 5 are shipped eggs so I'm very happy over all with this first hatch in the Dickey. Some of the shipped eggs were mis-labeled. There were 5 coronation susssex and 5 salmon faverolles from the same person, but I hatched 7 Fav's and 3 coronation.
roll.png
I had those two in one section of the hatcher together knowing that the 5 toes and feathered feet would set the two apart. Those Faverolles are so cute!
They are the fluffiest and have the biggest chubby cheeks of them all!

So my hatch summary is: Set 46 -Locked Down 33 - Hatched 27 (still keeping the last few in just in case)

Set Pulled at LD LD Hatched
Mine
SFH 9 1 clear, 1 quitter 7 6

TNBEARCHICK
SFH 7 2 clear 5 5

CrFarm
BCM 8 1 clear 7 3

MrsMoonCat
Salmon Fav 5 0 5 3

Coronation 6 1 blood ring 5 7

W/BW Am 11 7 clear 4 3
TOTALS 46 13 33 27

58.7% from set
81.8% from lock down

I like to keep records of this kind of stuff.
big_smile.png
RIF Reading is fundamental

Oh...does anyone have other spradle leg solutions beyond the bandaid trick...tried it and could not get to work. Not true splits, just one leg that won't stay under chick....ideas?
VetWrap worked really well for me. It sticks to itself but not anything else, very pliable and you can cut it however you need. One spraddle-legged chick wore Vetwrap last season, finally fixed it after a few days, maybe nearly a week.
Funny story, before lockdown I was candling eggs. I dropped an egg. It was fine but the egg it landed on wasn't. It was a lavender so I was pretty ticked at myself. I went and got the super glue and put it all over the cracks. I glued my fingers to the egg. As I'm painfully peeling my fingers off and I pull some shell off the egg and outer membrane is showing! Sh!t. So I go put neosporin ointment on the membrane to keep it from during out. Not a lot of hope for it, but I set that one upright to protect the weak parts of the shell. Guess which lavender is the only one to hatch so far? I saw it pipped and partially zipped. But it couldn't get through the super glued areas. I helped it zip through that section and out it popped! Childbirth in my hands. Wonderful feeling after all I did to keep that egg good to hatch.
Wax works really good and you don't have the hazard of finger-gluing. I just waxed a WH duck egg that had a little crack in the top. I had a shipped cracked egg last year, I waxed it and it hatched.

Wish i had some vet wrap handy... will keep trying the bandaid, but it just topples over. Does not want to bend the one leg- just stretch it out to side. here is baskets of goodness with ds... 12 and 12(spraddle leg was out) Then dd not to be forgotten with our love of polish. Only three hatched from the six eggs, but one did not have a top hat???.

Deli...this is the barred rock or english orp?
Black. Two tiny feathers of white on head, and edge of wings and bottom. Fluffier than barred rock.

Back
Top Bottom