Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Well more snow.. yippee... at least it seems to be melting. At this rate I will never get to plant my garden, get my chicks out of the basement OR ride my horse outside !!EVER!!
hit.gif

ok ~~ all done :)

Gotta go to Madison this weekend for work, anything fun happening in the area Fri night or Sat ?

When I got my chicks, I was sooo excited....ok still am.. but I had these visions of them all loving to be pet and running to me to be picked up..............i think they all hate me
sad.png
they all run to the farthest corner hoping on each other trying to get away.......
roll.png
I thought that since I got them from little, I could be their momma............guess chicks don't imprint like foals ...........sigh...... I think there might be a couple that seem to like people.

Hope everyones Tuesday stays WARM and DRY!

Do polish chicks get picked on more by the others ?

I have 22 chicks and 2 poults in a very large box brooder. I moved them to this huge box cause I thought they were getting to crowded in the other brooder. Well over the weekend while we were outside cleaning my oldest DD hollered for me cause the other chicks were attacking one of our golden laced polish chicks. Alot of the wing feathers were pulled out so it was pretty bloody. I got it cleaned up, put it in its own cage , and put neosprin on it. The chick is doing just fine besides looking beat up. Well today the other golden laced polish got picked on. It has a nice soar on its back. I cleaned it, put the neosporin on it and its in with the other polish chick.

I have never had this happen before. I was looking on line and I read that polish chicks are not good for a mixed flokc. Is this true ??
Oh and I checked and none of the other chicks have an issues. Are turkey poults mean ? I do have the two poults in with the chicks, should I take the poults out ? I was told I could brood the poults with the chicks while in the house. But they are the only thing different that I'm doing this year besides never having polish chicks before.

Do polish chicks get picked on more by the others ?

I have 22 chicks and 2 poults in a very large box brooder. I moved them to this huge box cause I thought they were getting to crowded in the other brooder. Well over the weekend while we were outside cleaning my oldest DD hollered for me cause the other chicks were attacking one of our golden laced polish chicks. Alot of the wing feathers were pulled out so it was pretty bloody. I got it cleaned up, put it in its own cage , and put neosprin on it. The chick is doing just fine besides looking beat up. Well today the other golden laced polish got picked on. It has a nice soar on its back. I cleaned it, put the neosporin on it and its in with the other polish chick.

I have never had this happen before. I was looking on line and I read that polish chicks are not good for a mixed flokc. Is this true ??
Oh and I checked and none of the other chicks have an issues. Are turkey poults mean ? I do have the two poults in with the chicks, should I take the poults out ? I was told I could brood the poults with the chicks while in the house. But they are the only thing different that I'm doing this year besides never having polish chicks before.

I had a bunch of Polish in my very first batch of chicks and I didn't notice them getting singled out. i still have 3 hens and they do just fine, even free-range pretty good. My friend Julie picked up a Polish roo a couple years ago and he almost never had head feathers because her birds picked them out. I guess it depends on the flock?

I owe Carol a BCM Male..can you give her the one you have? I will pm and make arrangement on paying you for him.
Drumstick------Cacciatore------Curry-----Florentine----Gumbo----Pate----
Uh... don't need a BCM, nope... I am doing blue cuckoo marans..
Besides I have too many baby roos as it is...
I am going to have to make a harsh decision and likely have to cull all of my Jaerhon roos, except the one I kept from Ideal last year.
I have 10 pullets and 10 straight run coming in May, so can keep 1 or 2 of those that are roos...
I am seeing some inbreeding traits that I had hoped to avoid. AND I will need to get a set of Jaers from Sandhill for other outside blood.
The traits I am seeing are bent/curled toes.
Of the three jaerhons that hatched at KristiP's I took one home and she has bent toes on at least 1 foot. Last year I had
a few hatch out and all three have bent toes.
Now it might be due to another reason, but none of the other chicks they are in with have any issues, either last year or this year.

And I LOVE chicken curry!!

Carol, 2 years ago I had 1 bator batch of Jaers and a couple had curled toes. I'm pretty positive it was a incubation issue, I've never had that problem since and no one I sent eggs to ever mentioned it. All my birds so far are from the quad I started with 3 years ago. I read somewhere that the Jaers seem to not be as prone to inbreeding problems as other breeds. Remember all Jaers came from a single pair. Were you hatching with a broody or bator?

Fajita, Marsala, Cordon Bleu, Coq a Vin, Buffalo Wing, Nugget, General Tso, Enchilada, Piccata, Bourbon, Chimichanga, 20 clove, Lemon Pepper, Lemon, Stuffing, Parmesan, Cacciatore, Paella, Tetrazzini, Gumbo, Beer can, BBQ, Sweet and Sour, Divan, Fried Rice, Shish Kabob, Empanada, Pastie.....

I was just going off a list and whatever recipes I could find. I apologize for duplicates.

Apparently my sisters dog will be spending another night at the vet, they cannot get the swelling down as much as they would like and he still has a catheter in. Poor baby.

How about . . . Cordon Bleu and Pot Pie (PP for short)
lau.gif

We bought our place two years ago and it had sat vacant for two years prior to that. The first year the front field was so over grown (thistles as tall as me, and I'm 6ft!!), that I didn't even see the existing asparagus. Once we cut everything down I was excited to see a row about 25 - 30 feet long, but it is very spotty. We mowed around the plants last year, picked quite a bit, but since our plan is to sell produce we want to fill in between the current plants and expand this from one to three rows. What is your advice on prepping the area? Because of the weeds and all, I'm thinking it would be good to scrape the sod and around and as close to the existing plants, then plant bare root, my husband bought a big bag of seeds from Jung and thought he would sprinkle that around. I'm thinking that seed wouldn't amount to anything for 4-5 years. Also, if we prep the area sometime in the next week or two will it damage the existing crop?? Also I thought I read that lime is good for asparagus, if so spread it now or after the harvest? Sorry for all the questions
idunno.gif
We dig a trench about 8 inches deep and put them 2 feet apart(bare roots) put in some horse poop composted almost to dirt. We then bury them half way up the trench to start and as the plants grow add dirt until it is level with the ground. Remember that asparagus originates from the sea shore, so it grows even in sand(which is what we have for soil) that has been soaked in salt water, so relax and try not to over think it.

as ours is in a patch at the end of our garden, some years we scratch up the top soil early in the spring when we know it is not yet growing with our tractor tiller set to about 3 inches, to restart the weeds.

Back
Top Bottom