Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Tried to stay up to watch the eclipse, passed out at 12:20, woke up again at 2:20 and went back to sleep.

Fernie, I am so sorry somebody lied to you about homeschooling in WI. No you do not need to have any formal training or schooling after HS, I am not even sure if they require the parent to have a HS diploma. I know many who homeschool; some do a fantastic job and others fail miserably. I considered doing it myself but then decided to go back to school so I supplement my children's education as much as possible to 'fill in the holes'.

This snow can melt anytime now....

Time for a second cup.

The person that lied was/is a teacher. I guess they figured that the disabled woman could not teach her own children.....I am not more than annoyed with the fact I lost all the time teaching the kids proper.

I would love the snow to be gone until next November or December.....

Hurley-did you lose some of the chicks or are they okay now?

Lost 4 chicks, the rest bounced back fine. Crazy darn weather.

Cold as the bejeezus last night watching the eclipse, but managed to snag some photos. Hampered by the lens trying to crystalize, but think some turned out well. I made up a compilation of some photos showing the moon moving into eclipse to blood moon. Had fun trying to capture the moon with clouds moving past. Glad it cleared up enough to see it!

Compilation of photos through the eclipse.

Just a pretty full moon picture with clouds while working on getting my camera adjusted.

The man's right cheek beginning to darken just before the eclipse became visible.

Starting the eclipse with clouds passing over.

The blood moon in full eclipse.

My oldest is 11 the youngest 5. This is not the first time I have home schooled, but it is the first time since we moved to Wisconsin. I was lied to when we moved here that you had to do a formal school and the at home school was out of the question. Then I found a group here that home schooled. I could not pull the children fast enough.

Good for you! I'm not very fond of the STEM school my kids attend, and might send them elsewhere or home school next year.

Frozen Tundra to everyone....great pics Hurley...thanks for sharing them. I'm considering running electric to my coops on their own breakers....it will be worth the cost I'm thinking. I have plenty of open spots in the breaker box. The cost to bury the wire will prolly be the worst.

No melting here...the trees are snow white here yet.....enough already.

Kinda funny that I think Gordon is a whiner and you think he is a winner sclark....It's what make the world go around...I guess...LOL!

Later..bigz

I've been getting crap for it for over 20 years for being a fan, I can handle it.
wink.png

Well my first chick this year to get caught I'm dealing with right now. It externally pipped and dried to it's face so it couldn't zip. I softened the membrane and thought I got it all but I hadn't. I just had to peel away some shell and free it. I'm leaving it now to finish hatching on it's own as I didn't want to dig deeper to see if the yolk was fully absorbed. If it doesn't make it, it wasn't meant to be. It's one of my Sussex chicks and I don't have very many is the only reason I messed with it in the first place and I know most say to not touch them but I can't listen very well. I have another external pip from a EE so far that leaves 15 more from that batch.

1876= I have 4 incubators running right now. Brinsea eco 20, Hova-bator and 2 home made ones. I am using one of the home made ones to hatch only atm but have so many staggered hatches I pulled the turner out of the Hova for those. I bought an old fuel oil incubator for $50 today from a guy I have to pick it up tomorrow. I don't remember the name but will show pictures tomorrow when I get it home. I figure I can add heat and a fan and at the very least use it for a hatcher. It's galvanized and has 4 legs is all I remember from the photo the guy showed me. He works at Ace and it was his fathers who passed away. He had been hatching Emu eggs in it before he passed. I come across the man when I was in Ace a few weeks ago getting some supplies to build the latest incubator I'm using to hatch with. I really wish I could find a cabinet incubator within my budget with all the hatching I'm doing. It would really make life easier and save alot of space I'm using in my living room and kitchen.

Last edited:
well kudos to those of you who hold your bunnies back from the holidays. These are two 1/2 weeks old and just lost their fluff and I guess their allure. I have another girl friend who was looking at getting chicks to raise to add to her existing coop and I am sending these three her way!

I will post pics of my 5 right now. I am pretty sure I have a pair of BCM(just what I wanted), 2 lavenders with dark combs that I am not sure on sex yet and a chantecler that I am really hoping is a hen as it is super sweet. With almost no comb and solid color...hard to tell. the first 4 are a month old and the chantecler is 6 weeks.

Those orps get the comb ypung. I am always nervous about them too! If ypu don't see wattles (waddles) there still might be hope! I do sell holiday babies. I weed through the crazies. And do all the homework I can to (hopefully) find really good homes. I am honest about how destructive an inside bunny can be. And also about the fact that bunnies will always pee but not poo in the box. I feel there is not much more heart warming than a mother sending me a pic of their child loving their baby! And most buyers are willing to send updates :) just because people choose a holiday for a pet does not mean they will be bad owners. Imho. As a seller, it is our responsibility to do our homework. I myself am an impulse acquirer. But always take the best of care possible with what we have :)

Back
Top Bottom