Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

The rain stopped mid morning so by 3:00 the ground was dry enough for us to go out and play. Well, the kids played and I tried to get all of the field grass out of the strawberry patch. I swear the roots on those weeds are a foot long
barnie.gif
Any good tips on growing strawberries?

Delisha-Did you sell your BLRW flock yet? If not can you give me a full run down of what you have and possibly photos?
Yes, it did not take long..they are still here..but she paid for them and is picking them up next week. She was afraid someone else was going to buy them. She should have close to 30 and I do not think she needs that many. Maybe she will sell half the flock.

The rain stopped mid morning so by 3:00 the ground was dry enough for us to go out and play. Well, the kids played and I tried to get all of the field grass out of the strawberry patch. I swear the roots on those weeds are a foot long
barnie.gif
Any good tips on growing strawberries?
from seeds? no..they are terrible to start and take forever.

From plants? Yes
choose the variety you like

You need bone and fish meal to keep nitrogen up..specially when runners are starting.
2 year old chicken poop in your aisles mixed with straw..Keep dry heavy mulch under plants.
be a diligent weed puller
heavy mulch under leaves
good air circulation
cut all your runners

Jim, I'm glad you added the ETA. I thought you were referring to something, ah, lower?
lau.gif
Ouch! That would definitely get his attention.
ep.gif

So sorry to hear about the duckings, all of them.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
Yes, if it were me, he would definitely be learning a few lessons in the art of patience!
rant.gif

CRS hits again. I do remember some good advice from Del & Bigz about strawberries & oak wilt. Thanks for posting.

Welcome to more newbies! Hope you like it here.
smile.png

Thanks delish! I have some bone meal. These berries were started by the previous owners and they are a mess of weeds. I'm tempted to dig it all up and start over. Will get them mulched today if the weather cooperates.

Thanks delish! I have some bone meal. These berries were started by the previous owners and they are a mess of weeds. I'm tempted to dig it all up and start over. Will get them mulched today if the weather cooperates.

I suggest starting over, and in a different area if possible. A few reasons, you will never get all the weeds out of that area, the plants most likely harbor disease, the crop if any will suffer from it. Now you can weed and nurse them for some berries this year, prep a new bed area this year get all the weeds out, mechanical or chemical this is a must for berries, do soil tests if you have not done any in that area are a good thing. This spring the weather certainly is not good for prepping the ground, later this summer we are to be dry and hot,,,,,that makes prepping future sites (for all gardening much easier).

The UW Extension service has great info for raising strawberries in WI,,,online or go to the local county office, in the far north most counties no longer have an Ag agent unfortunately but the info should still be there.

Once you have an area ready order new "clean" stock from a good nursery, you can propagate runners to maintain the beds vigor and as deli suggests with heavy mulch and proper additions of organic materials you should be set for many years.

Where are you located? I see UP, I'm from Eagle River in Vilas/Oneida Cty not far from the UP either

good luck

Yes, it did not take long..they are still here..but she paid for them and is picking them up next week. She was afraid someone else was going to buy them. She should have close to 30 and I do not think she needs that many. Maybe she will sell half the flock.

from seeds? no..they are terrible to start and take forever.

From plants? Yes
choose the variety you like

You need bone and fish meal to keep nitrogen up..specially when runners are starting.
2 year old chicken poop in your aisles mixed with straw..Keep dry heavy mulch under plants.
be a diligent weed puller
heavy mulch under leaves
good air circulation
cut all your runners
I was only really wanting 2-3 more pullets/hens in all reality but daughter said to just get them all. Good thing you sold them to stop me. I did sell 5 chicks yesterday for $7 each, I didn't really think anyone would give me that much for them. I guess I thought wrong.

good morning, that solid state thermostat is giving me fits.. why can't it stop at 99*F .. I hit every number above and below it.. when it hits a number, it holds it well, though ..

that Genisis is a sweet machine, though.. they have improved the seal where the top rests on the base..

we have figured out a fool proof strawberry patch.. My neighbor's DD and her DH have a pick your own patch just a quarter of a mile from us.. No weeding, the berries are perfect.. and I don't have to go pick them.. Annie likes that sort of recreation..

FYI,, the dead ripe ones are not as sweet as the just barely ripe ones ..

I am going to start up bator #2 soon.. I think next Monday.. I am going to start hatching my own chicken's eggs.. even the cross breed eggs that I will be collecting before the pure breed eggs begin..
I will use those chickens for meat..

cuppa is about gone and getting cold.. besides CRS has struck..

......jiminwiscbbl........................

Quote:

good morning, that solid state thermostat is giving me fits.. why can't it stop at 99*F .. I hit every number above and below it.. when it hits a number, it holds it well, though ..

that Genisis is a sweet machine, though.. they have improved the seal where the top rests on the base..

we have figured out a fool proof strawberry patch.. My neighbor's DD and her DH have a pick your own patch just a quarter of a mile from us.. No weeding, the berries are perfect.. and I don't have to go pick them.. Annie likes that sort of recreation..

FYI,, the dead ripe ones are not as sweet as the just barely ripe ones ..

I am going to start up bator #2 soon.. I think next Monday.. I am going to start hatching my own chicken's eggs.. even the cross breed eggs that I will be collecting before the pure breed eggs begin..
I will use those chickens for meat..

cuppa is about gone and getting cold.. besides CRS has struck..

......jiminwiscbbl........................
I agree about the pick your own..but they are getting so darn expensive. I have a very small berry patch and enjoy fresh berries daily during growth. My Jam berries is a pick your own event..

Kendra..do you want to go again this year? Anyone else? We can meet for lunch after..or come to my house for pot luck..bring a dish to pass thing.. We pick early..like before 9am.

Good morni g all!
Clark, in the fall we will be selecting through who stays and goes for blrw. And then selling them off in probably pairs only. That way the roosters go too ;) we will have quite a few to choose from!
Del, good for yl u selling them quick! We have a couple blrw cockerals to sell. Not sure what to list them at. So just have not got around to it ...
Jim, hope that bator hots 99○ for you!
Sorry to hear about the duckies!

Back
Top Bottom