Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Are all domestic geese mean? Are certain breeds more friendly? I was attacked by my baby sitter's geese as a child and I think they're really neat but I also have a little fear of them BC of it. I would like to find some nice ones and then I might consider raising them. We have some friends who also own geese and theirs are mean too.

geese are not mean.. they can be the nicest pets if you have a little time to hand feed them
Even my tame geese do the posturing, if you show dominance they back down.
they are more likely to posture when they have a nest.
just sit back and think,, what can a goose do to me ?
answer: not much,,

if you run into a goose or a turkey that acts too bossy, just grab it by the neck right up by the head and lead it around a little bit.. when you let them go, it is a rare one that will get close enough for you to do that again.

remember they might chase, but if you do not run, what is there to chase ?

......jiminwisc......,

It is all about parenting, my kids know we would tan their hide if they ever took a gun out of the safe. When other kids are over, we keep them locked away and not even in eyesight.

And sorry Jim, we had geese as kids and you could not pay me to have one. Chased me all the time... I do think your straw bale idea as far as using them for height and moisture is a great idea though, most people don't realize how dry dirt will be in a raised bed and even more so if you put it up on legs. They think of it as a regular garden and not more like a house plant. Heirloom tomatoes all came up in the greenhouse except one. Hot peppers good germination, bell seeds must have been old. Hoping to get on the tiller's schedule so he can come early and we can start the great quack battle.

Hope you feel better when you wake up, Cindy.

Last edited:
good morning,
lots to do today, but I wonder just how much I will get done .

GG72 , not all geese are chasers. No goose is a chaser if you don't run. my geese do not chase.. I have had flocks of as many as 25, and didn't have any chasers.. I guess it is how they are raised.. I had many different breeds. It didn't seem to make any difference.. except the Sebastopols and pilgrims were very shy ..

........jiminwisc.........

I once had geese who would nip at my heels if I turned my back on them but that's as far as it went. If I turned around to face them they backed away and looked around at each other as if to say, "What!? It wasn't me. Did you see anything?"
hu.gif

My hatch is complete with a 61.54% success rate. I'm pleased with those results. The little ones are doing fine.

My pizza cutter for the bash is finished, and I'll prolly pick it up tomorrow. They are heirloom quality and last for generations to come. Hope you can get in on the raffle.

Transplanted a few trees today. They should do well.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom