Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good afternoon,
spending today getting a female puppy ready for a plane ride to way western N. Dakota.
tomorrow she goes to the vet for her check up and certificate.

I got her a new collar and a pet shipping crate this morning. she doesn't mind the collar , but the crate is not her favorite place to be in.
she is not too keen about being dragged around with a leash either.
the people said they wanted a more independent one. I think I found her.. LOL

I has been raining off and on all day.
after taking a shower, I don't feel much like
going and getting all muddied up working on
the slab prep. there are better days coming.

funny: I build a deck for my oldest sister about 40+ years ago. today she called. she got to thinking; "did I pay you ?"
I told her no, but to forget it, take it as a birthday present..

.......jiminwisc........

good morning,
in about a half an hour I will be taking a little girl puppy to the vet.
she needs a health certificate so she can fly out of CWA early next Wednesday.
she is going to a 400 acre sheep ranch in N.D. ..
I bought her a collar and a shipping crate.
she doesn't mind the collar, but in not too fond of being locked in the crate.
she has a few days to get use to it.
I am teaching her to lead. she is not too fond of that either, but she is learning.

.........jiminwisc.......

Hello fellow duck lovers!

I'm hoping someone in the WI area can help me out! I currently have 3 drakes and 1 duck/hen - 2 of the drakes are black and white Magpies. All 4 ducks are just over 17 weeks old and are starting to mate with our 1 girl (or trying to at least). We've been reading that Magpie drakes have a very high libido and so it's recommended that we keep a ratio of drakes to ducks of 1:5. Unfortunately, our town will only allow us to have 4 total ducks and so adding more girls is not an option (though we would love to). We hate to see these guys go as we've raised them since they were 3 days old (and they're such good foragers and have great personalities), but for the sake of our girl, we will need to re-home these guys. :(

Are there any breeders in WI that are looking to add Magpies to their flock or can anyone refer me to someone who just adores Magpies and wants them as pets? :) With their status considered "threatened" by the Livestock Conservancy, we want these guys to go to someone who is interested in conservation/breeding. We love them so much!

Looking forward to hearing from someone!

Thank you

Duckmum, where are you located ?
it helps your cause to find someone close to you.

It is a good thing that you are considering the hen duck's well being. ducks can do a number on a hen if she is that outnumbered.

I am downsizing all my birds.

also,maybe go to a forum on byc that deals with ducks.?

.........jiminwisc......

Duckmum, where are you located ?
it helps your cause to find someone close to you.

It is a good thing that you are considering the hen duck's well being. ducks can do a number on a hen if she is that outnumbered.

I am downsizing all my birds.

also,maybe go to a forum on byc that deals with ducks.?

.........jiminwisc......
Hi Jim!
Thank you for your support. Yes, I think our hen would very much appreciate some more sisters in her family. :) Another member just informed me that drakes can sometimes kill hens when they're mating (drowning!) - I've already seen her go under water once and had a near heart attack. Do you think it would be ok to keep 1 male (an Ancona)? Some people say it's good to have 1 in a flock since they're great at protecting the hens, but I'm not sure if this would be wise in such a small flock.

I live in New Berlin. I will try posting to a duck forum now! Thanks for the advice!

so often I read that someone wants to keep a rooster or drake for flock protection.
IMHO .. that is a fairy tale.
those people also believe that Bambi's father hung around to help raise and protect him.

If you had a flock of 100 roosters, a fox would potentially have 100 meals..

.......jiminwisc......

so often I read that someone wants to keep a rooster or drake for flock protection.
IMHO .. that is a fairy tale.
those people also believe that Bambi's father hung around to help raise and protect him.

If you had a flock of 100 roosters, a fox would potentially have 100 meals..

.......jiminwisc......

Awww okay. Well if not for protection, will having him likely cause any problems based on your experiences?

I took this at lunch time today.
do you think I have their attention ?

:love :love
You even live close(ish) to my parents, but I've already taken my summer trip to Wisconsin. Sigh!
What breed are they? I've been considering some kind of LGD breed for a farm dog for our place. Not sure that is a good idea though, I think we would want more fence than we have to keep the dog from roaming.

good morning,
a nice cool sunny one it is here..

My first puppy came from Nebraska.
He is in upper N Y state now.

these puppies are purebred Maremma LGD.
Not a well known breed by many people, yet

All we have are chickens, guineas and a pair of geese.
The dogs don't necessarily bond with the birds, but just their presence and constant marking of territory keeps the preds on their toes.
You do not need fences for these dogs.
they can be trained to know their boundaries . the males might visit a neighbor or two, but when you explain to the neighbor that he is getting free security service , anyone in their right mind won't turn that down.

Next Wednesday, one of the girls is flying to Oregon.
all the way to the ocean , just about.

Bl Shadow,
let your parents hold the pup for you until you can pick it up..

this is going to be our last litter.

a female tends to roam less than a male does.

I guess I better get outside and do something, even if it is wrong..

......jiminwisc.....

Back
Top Bottom