Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

there is no such thing as free lumber. but way less expensive if you cut your own trees, for sure..
in bits and pieces, I probably burn more than $20.oo worth of oak whenever I fire up the stove in the shop. I try to burn only pieces that I can't run through the planer because they are too short. I am running out of blemished cut offs.

I have my jointer blade sharpening jig about 99% finished. it is looking real promising, can't wait to test it out..
Similar jigs on Amazon are about $68.oo

Annie is working again tonight, a double shift. overtime..
So Subways for supper.

......jiminwisc......

I took a picture of the sharpening jig.

100_1083[1].JPG

this is the jig in working position.

100_1081[1].JPG

this is the underside of the jig. there is a blade clamped in with two tabs.
you can see the piano hinge.
100_1082[1].JPG

this is the micro adjuster of my design.
I can adjust from:
50 degrees down to 30 degrees
and anything in between.
my main adjustment is 40 degrees.

Morning to you all! It has been a while since I've been on here. Chickens are fine and loving their FF. When I don't give it to them they sure do let me know. All the other critters are good too!
Otherwise, we've been busy. We got the garden ready by adding mushroom and general compost as well as chicken coop bedding. Leaving it all to degrade over the winter. Planted soft & hard-neck garlic and cast grass seed, white & yellow clover as well as alfalfa in the side yard for the chickens. Not much grows in this spot, but we recently cut a bunch of trees that shaded this area, so I'm hoping that will help the seed grow.:fl
Come spring we will be adding rhode island reds, buff orps, and tetra browns. Hoping to get into a regular cycle of adding/culling while keeping up the egg production. If anyone has suggestions, feel free. I'd love to hear your advice. In the past, I've only added chicks in the Spring. Does anyone have experience adding late summer? I will be culling 2-4 late summer and was wondering whether I could add 4 chicks at this time and still get them fully feathered prior to winter.
Hope everyone has a great holiday season!

And a Merry Christmas to you all..

the day started out at about 4 AM.
Frankies started then with having her pups.
as of 10 AM she has 7 of them..
looks like there are still more to come..

as long as I was up, I mixed up the
stuffing/dressing. have it in a deep pot resting before putting it into the oven.
we are not going to eat until about 6PM.
the donor of the ham had to run to Oshkosh to pick up his daughter at the airport.
can't hardly eat without the ham being here,

as long as I have plenty of time to waste, I mixed up a batch of dinner rolls. have
3 dozen raising in the oven right now.

.......jiminwisc.....

update 1PM
there are 8 puppies now.

the stuffing and rolls are done.
If I don't quit sampling, I won't be able to eat supper..

Last edited:
What the heck, kinda felt like I stepped back in time for a second when I saw your post, Jim. Had do double check the date to make sure you were actually talking about yesterday when you said puppies.... Missed you guys!
Chicken in the dd room in the dog crate. Found her not hardly walking this morning, to be fair the hens have been somewhat on autopilot since the molt, I don't check them every day. She is missing some back feathers but we do not have a roo and weighs next to nothing. Near as I can figure, they are keeping her away from the feeders? Not sure. We will see what happens in the next 24.

GranolaGirl72 Sorry you have a sick hen, hope she gets better. - how does her comb look? I had some hens that were like that, but their combs were bluish tinged and I ended up putting them down as they never got any better. :(

Merry Christmas to all!
CS, I prefer to always start with chicks in the Spring. Then they start laying by Fall and the pullets will provide eggs all Winter long. I don't cull any hens, only the extra males.

bigz

I have 6 - 14 week old chicks in the barn right now. I am waiting to see if they will start laying this winter yet. Wish me luck with that. I got them a month later than I had originally planned. They did feather out quickly and are very healthy and lively.

What the heck, kinda felt like I stepped back in time for a second when I saw your post, Jim. Had do double check the date to make sure you were actually talking about yesterday when you said puppies.... Missed you guys!
Chicken in the dd room in the dog crate. Found her not hardly walking this morning, to be fair the hens have been somewhat on autopilot since the molt, I don't check them every day. She is missing some back feathers but we do not have a roo and weighs next to nothing. Near as I can figure, they are keeping her away from the feeders? Not sure. We will see what happens in the next 24.

We didn't plan this one.
we were watching her closely and watching the calendar ..
But Zeke was watching closer than we were.

I haven't looked at them too closely, but
Annie thinks they are ALL females..
I better go take a look..

.........jiminwisc.......

Back
Top Bottom