Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

@jvls1942 what is the final count on the puppies and are they all female?

I have been trying to keep the dogs inside as much as I can since it is so cold out, but our German Shepherd wants out, and wants out now! Only what he really wants is to go outside right now, and for me to go with and throw the ball for him.

Dealing with frozen waterers is a PITA! I didn't have this much trouble last year. What am I going to do when it is February and we get out -30's.

final puppy count is 9 and holding..
I have not gone and checked the sexes, but Annie said there are both

Zeke is staying in the big fly pen.
Frankie is on the sun porch with her pups.
Spot goes in and out a lot. He had a sore leg so Annie kept him in for a couple of days. now it seems to be permanent ..Spot is one of the puppies from the last litter. he is about 6 months old..
I named him Spot because he hasn't any..
for frozen water, do as I did.
get rid of all the chickens..
I still give the geese a pail of water each day..
.......jiminwisc.......

Still recovering Jim, trying to hack up the remainder of my lungs. Poor hubs has it now too.

On top of that, the one eyed wonder dog is sick too! She tested positive for Lyme’s antibodies almost a year ago, but has never had symptoms until yesterday. She has been lethargic, running a fever, swollen and sore joints, stiff legs, arched back, not eating and not drinking. Took her to a clinic in Burlington for antibiotics, so for the next 30 days she will be taking a pill 2x a day. She seems to be coming out the other side, she did manage to get up on her own when my son came home from work tonight and she started drinking again. She is back on her food too but not with her usual gusto.

When it rains it pours......

Yep, being sick at any time is bad enough, but over the holidays it is more special.

we had a dog with lymes.. not a pleasant thing for the dog or you.
I don't think there is a cure. just try to make them more comfortable for a while longer..

.......jiminwisc......

Standard course of treatment is a 30 day course of Doxycycline. After that I have no idea, hoping this is enough.

Where the heck is Brent? He usually checks in on Friday......

Anyone else's chickens starting to look a little sickly in this cold. Mine have some pale combs and are getting thin. I picked up a flock block and have been giving them suet. Going to search out some straw today and fill the coop house to provide some warmth.

Anyone else's chickens starting to look a little sickly in this cold. Mine have some pale combs and are getting thin. I picked up a flock block and have been giving them suet. Going to search out some straw today and fill the coop house to provide some warmth.
We are struggling here too. Had to put one down yesterday, beyond saving. Also got a flock block but they don't really seem interested and now this morning the stock tank heater in their water quit. Just dumped a bag of leaves for them to work through for something to do but I think they are kinda miserable.
Jim, I told Sophia about Spot, and she says maybe he is called that because he has a spot, it just covers his whole entire body. He IS a Spot....:lau

I just posted a thread in the chicken pictures and stories thread of how my first flock of 3 has been faring during our first winter! Also posted a pic of my 3 Easter eggers and their coop. They are getting along so far, but I worry constantly!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-3-girls-and-their-first-milwaukee-winter.1214082/

I haven't been around in a while but I figured I'd post an update.
Coop is pretty much finished. Rushed to get it done in December before it got this cold, and now I am very glad it is ready for spring.
I still have to finish some details here and there like ventilation... But that can wait until it's warmer.
IMG_20171217_112850.jpg

I ordered chicks from MPC for April. So now I just wait :p
I am already the crazy chicken lady to everyone even though I don't have chickens yet. My family got me a chicken lady tree ornament, a chicken harness, rubber chicken, and this crazy chicken hat for Christmas.
IMG_20171225_201001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom