Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I have been getting one super large egg lately. I weighed it finally today and they are 3.5 ozs. I had several yet in the fridge and they all weigh this. I wish I knew which hen was laying them as I would get a whole flock of them!

I had two monster sized eggs in the fridge - DH ate them both for breakfast yesterday. Couldn't close the egg carton because they were so big. All I have left is one wrinkly shelled egg - I get two of those a week. I think they are better eggs than the huge ones, the whites make a nice double ring around yolks when cracked into the fry pan. The huge ones seem to have really runny whites.
I hope my pullets will start laying when I put them into the coop with the older hens. I have lights on in the coop, but not in the brooder. The brooder has south facing windows so I didn't need to add any light.

you might want to match the color of the egg shell to the color of the chicken's ears.
white ears white eggs. etc..

I have my jointer all put back together.
have to get it out of the kitchen and into the garage to test it out..
supposed to get up to 6 above today. I will wait until then..

I did a no, no, this morning, I poured the left over coffee back into the brewer and ran it through again. I just won't tell Annie.
it is about time that it has to go through the vinegar cleaning cycle anyhow. Annie
will be amazed at how much gunk will come out, LOL.

.........jiminwisc.......

I have 2 black sex links that I got as chicks early fall, does anyone think this could be the source of huge brown eggs?
I had 3 "Blacks" from Sunnyside. They did lay a light brown/dark cream eggs, but I think my Saggittas are the source of the huge eggs. I have 5 Saggittas right now and I think 2 or 3 of them are the huge egg layers. Hard to tell when they are laying so few eggs... the "Special Brown" from Sunnyside lays a nice dark cream colored egg that is about a grocery Jumbo egg size.

With the warmer weather coming next week I will probably move the 15 week olds into the coop with the old girls. I plan to put a layer of straw out in the run with a pumpkin so the big girls can be locked outside. I am hoping that rearranging the coop and installing a higher roost will help keep the 6 older birds from picking on the 6 young ones.

I had 3 "Blacks" from Sunnyside. They did lay a light brown/dark cream eggs, but I think my Saggittas are the source of the huge eggs. I have 5 Saggittas right now and I think 2 or 3 of them are the huge egg layers. Hard to tell when they are laying so few eggs... the "Special Brown" from Sunnyside lays a nice dark cream colored egg that is about a grocery Jumbo egg size.

With the warmer weather coming next week I will probably move the 15 week olds into the coop with the old girls. I plan to put a layer of straw out in the run with a pumpkin so the big girls can be locked outside. I am hoping that rearranging the coop and installing a higher roost will help keep the 6 older birds from picking on the 6 young ones.
If you are able, put a dog kennel in the coop with cardboard for the door. Cut out a hole big enough for the young ones. That way they can get away from the big girls if necessary. Worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom