Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We will be having the big meal tomorrow since that worked will almost everyone’s schedules. Oldest DS left today, he has been here visiting since Tuesday night. The rest of the clan will trickle in over the next 16 hours..... I made a roasted pork loin for him with all the trimmings.

Did some prep work today; made pumpkin, pecan, and apple pies, cranberry relish, and started the turkey brining so I also made some stock with the neck. Tomorrow will be sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, dressing, the made from scratch green bean casserole, turkey and gravy.

BL4, your menu is exactly like ours, even the bean casserole ..
that big meal did not do my green tea and oatmeal diet any good. but I am still down the original weight I lost..
how come it takes so long to take weight off ? but so easy to add 2 pounds ? It must have been the pecan pie..
.......jiminwaUSAu........

had just a small amount of turkey breast left today. Annie opened up a can of chicken soup and cut the turkey into tiny pieces. '
chicken/turkey soup is a good thing..
we butchered three of the four chickens today. Nephew Dan could not get close enough with the pellet gun to shoot the wild white rooster.. some day it will make a misteak ....LOL
.......jiminwaUSAu.....

While the kids were here we had the annual Christmas tree choose and cut. Found a lovely place about 30 minutes away that sells nothing but fir trees. Mr. Picky was impressed with the quality; first tree farm he has approved of since we arrived here. 🙄 We found an acceptable tree within 5 minutes.

Yesterday was devoted to decorating for Christmas. Put the lights on the house, decorated the tree, put the wreaths up..... busy time outdoors before the cold front came through.

since all of our kids grew up, we don't decorate much for Christmas. The only little ones we have are some great grands in Madison. They seldom come to visit.
Annie has a tiny decorated artificial tree she stores in a black contractor bag. quick to set up, quick to take down.. She has a variety of
table cloths that she uses for the special days or season..
sometimes we might drive around at night and look at what some people do to
their houses.. I don't have to climb a ladder
for that. LOL
......jiminwaUSAu......

I got a call, Ollie now has oil pressure again.
I told them to go ahead and see if they could get the tachometer working.
I have two 5 gallon carbouys of wine going.
one other batch in a fermenting pail. It will be
going into a carbouy after a couple of days.
I used 60 pounds of blackberries for the three batches.. at the price of berries at the super market mine were worth $190.4o ..
they were picked from our patch in the yard..
I got 30 pounds of venison hamburger from my brother. also a few roasts..
Annie sorted through one of the freezers.
she found a 3 gallon pail full of green beans, and one full of creamed corn..
she said there are more in the other freezer, too..
I said, with three freezers full of food, why are we going to the store ?
too bad the Salvation Army or food pantry will not take frozen foods.

.... jiminwausau........

Fish Fry Friday to everyone. Hope all is well at your house!
You are way ahead of us bl4 with your Christmas activity.
We did receive our first Christmas card yesterday...I love that tradition and we always send out alot of cards to friends and family....seems to make the sediment more special in my eyes.
Really enjoying this nice Dec weather.....the wood splitter is getting a real good workout daily.

Stay safe...bigz

Hi all,
today I played with my wine a little. added warm water to top off the fermenting jugs.
That really set the yeast off. I could not keep the air locks on after that. finally just wrapped a towel around the neck of the jug for now.
then I looked up a couple of beer recipes. going to look for some more until I see one I like..
I called the feed mill. they have barley for
$6/50 pound bag. I can make a lot of beer with that much barley..
I have to figure out how to crack the barley. maybe a short ride in the food processor ??
.....jiminwaUSAu.......

I never made beer and always thought it could be alot of fun to make and enjoy. It's just so easy to pick some up at the store, although a new flavor created by oneself is tempting.
Maybe someday I'll give it a try.

Stay safe...bigz

I am watching a lot of youtube videos.
there are such a variety of ways to make beed.
One guy might have all sorts of pots, coolers and gadgets , the next guy just a pot and some grain and yeast. I lean toward the second guy's method.
maybe when I set up my mini brewery, then maybe I will get persnickity ..
.....jiminwaUSAu.....

Back
Top Bottom