Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I am usually awake when the birds begin to sing. I enjoy it. It is a cardinal. lots of different notes and combinations of notes.
The mourning doves start before it gets light. The crows are last to wake up.
I am reading up on how to train first year grapes to the arbor.
I am also trying to figure out how to adjust the lawn sweeper.. It has a sort of rake in front of the brushes. the rake actually drags on the ground. I don't think that is correct. I am tempted to remove it. I think it is there to protect the brushes from rocks and large sticks. I don't have either..
Our resident deer still is leaving the raised beds alone. I fertilized with fish emulsion. I don't think she likes that odor.
jiminwaUSAu.......

Lucky you Wyo that the deer didn't bite the tops off your apple trees and create a double top.
I think you are right about the fish smell deterring the deer Jim.
Green beans will get their first picking tomorrow. Already cut some big heads of broccoli.

Rain keeps coming growing season looking good except, second planting sweet corn is stunted. The dry spell must have stressed to to much. I was able to irrigate the first planting, but not the second. Have now side dressed both first second crop sweet corn about 140 lbs nitrogen, little over half acre. 3 to 4 weeks first crop sweet corn should come, need to get out there and spray round up around the corn and get ready for electric fence.

Wifes garden growing well, side dressed her maize corn and with Llama shit and the bit of 19 19 19 I scattered in there is working wonders. Her smile is priceless.

I see some one planted cherry trees I have 5 of them and get couple handful cherries. Nice to see the birds and bugs eat good. Really need netting.

Still battling the racoons somewhat, they sure are persistent. Thinning them down slowly, but not fast enough.

Back has been bothering me I have grapes to plant also. Will be a learning experience also. Have the grape plants in planters for now.

Yah that fish emulsion must be keeping the deer off. I have 1 apple tree the netting came apart and the deer have chewed it to pieces. Such a battle at times.

Wish I had a lawn sweeper, been looking for 1 on craigslist but yet to find 1. At least reasonably priced and not driving 2 hours one way to pick 1 up.

Stay safe everyone.

Hive inspection day! I am so spoiled with these bees.... they are so docile. I went with the MN hybrids this year, and I am glad I did. I barely need to use smoke when I open the hives.

910CDA60-9741-4551-94D9-EEAB201FF66E.jpeg

I spent a couple of hours watering the perennial garden yesterday. I sure picked the wrong year to plant trees etc.. The rain helped a lot but it lasts for only a couple of days. The cherry trees might not make it.
the grapes are finally growing. One has reached the second wire. two are just about up to the first wire. and one has reached the first wire. I planted two green cuttings in each of the spaces where the grapes died. should know in a week or two if they are going to take root.
the raised beds are doing great. the tomato vines are not real bushy, but there are lots of tomatoes . I had to add extra support to one beefsteak. it has 8 tomatoes in one cluster.
the other afternoon while I was watering tomatoes, the resident doe walked up behind me. I was sitting in my chair. she came about 20 feet away. I startled her when I stood up. I didn't know she was there.
so far she is leaving the plants alone.
We now have two stray cats. No red squirrels. As close as we can tell, there are 3 cotton tails. probably more, though.
when I had chickens, an eagle would come and sit in the oak tree. Where is he now ? I suppose rabbits are harder to catch.
.......jiminwaUSAu........

Does anyone know where I could find a tolbunt Polish in southeast Wisconsin? We need a pullet or a hen, because we have a very small flock and already have a rooster that is not tolerant of other males... My 11 yr old daughter has been babysitting to save money to buy her very first chicken that is all hers, and she picked this particular one out. Problem is finding it!

Does anyone know where I could find a tolbunt Polish in southeast Wisconsin? We need a pullet or a hen, because we have a very small flock and already have a rooster that is not tolerant of other males... My 11 yr old daughter has been babysitting to save money to buy her very first chicken that is all hers, and she picked this particular one out. Problem is finding it!
According to a 3 year old 4H post on Facebook, Reinhardt Mini Ranch in Merrill used to have tolbunt polish but according to their website, they aren’t selling any. It may be worth contacting them to see if they tend to have any or know of someone who has them.

Hi, everyone! My family and I are preparing for a move to the Milwaukee area. We currently live in Richmond, VA, so it’s a big move! We are looking specifically at Hartland because of the more rural setting, bigger houses (we’re a family of 7), and excellent schools. Anyone here from that area? I’m not sure if we’re able to bring our 5 sweet Golden Comets with us. The kids are going to be devastated if we can’t, but I’m not sure if the logistics of moving chickens that far or even the legality of chicken keeping in that area. Any advice or insights? Thanks!

Hi, everyone! My family and I are preparing for a move to the Milwaukee area. We currently live in Richmond, VA, so it’s a big move! We are looking specifically at Hartland because of the more rural setting, bigger houses (we’re a family of 7), and excellent schools. Anyone here from that area? I’m not sure if we’re able to bring our 5 sweet Golden Comets with us. The kids are going to be devastated if we can’t, but I’m not sure if the logistics of moving chickens that far or even the legality of chicken keeping in that area. Any advice or insights? Thanks!
I’m in Central WI. Are you moving to a residential area or are you moving to the country of Hartland?
It looks like you need a permit for residential area and can have a max of two chickens. You need to contact the city clerk for the permit. The permit has to be renewed every year. The code said that the chickens couldn’t be let to roam.

Back
Top Bottom