Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

That is a good reference chart to have on hand. That is exactly why I used an instant read thermometer to check the temp of things in the fridge to determine if i needed to toss anything. I know the chest freezer is good for 2 days as long as we don't open it - we've been through power outages with that one many times out west.
This is the new, way too expensive fridge that we bought recently when our old fridge died and I had to toss everything. Since it was the only fridge available at the time in the store that had the features I wanted ( plus some I didn't really need) - we spent much more than we were intending to for it. Stupid Covid inventory issues.
I can't believe that people think they need a fridge with a monitor and internet connection in the door.

No problem! Food safety is my main gig.
I agree 100% on the frivolous extras on appliances. Same applies to vehicles...... why can’t I just get a truck or a car without all of the electronic bells and whistles that cost a mint to fix when they break?

Well, the time has come that I was dreading.
BACKSTORY: When we moved into our place, the previous owner left a small flock of guinea hens. We have slowly been loosing them until 3 years ago we were down to 2 left. These 2 are inseparable. A couple of weeks ago, I had only one guinea hanging around the barn calling and honking and looking for his bud. 4 hours later, when the lost boy showed back up they ran to each other and rubbed heads, chased each other and tackled each other and just played together the rest of the day.
Well, after the big storm last the other night, one was gone for 24 hours and when he showed back up he was waterlogged and limping and acting really weak. I figured I would check him out after work. He had disappeared by them. The remaining guinea is not searching for his bud this time, so I am going to assume he is gone. The last guy is so lonely - he is trying to hang with the chickens - they hate him. He tries to hang in the yard with the dogs - one is terrified of him and the other wants to chase him. The cats couldn't care less and want him to leave them alone.
What do I do with a single, 8-year old guinea?

I always considered guineas as dispensable.
I let them free range. Why have them if they can't ? they go on the road, predators catch them , and then they find other ways to die.
I had a flock of about 8 and then I bought a flock of 8. They never mixed. gradually some of each flock died until there were six of one and one of the other. the six never included that one with them. It followed them at a distance for two years. finally they were all gone.
Of all the birds I had, I miss my guineas the most. I still don't have ticks or japanese beetles.
We had a little wind, lots of lightning and rain.. I have not had to water with the hose for weeks.
the wind knocked a few apples off of the tree. our resident little doe likes that.
three days ago she brought some helpers along. three spotted fawns. She is hardly much more than a fawn herself.
they all show up at dusk every day where we can watch them from the kitchen window.
So far she has left the raised beds alone.
I pulled 47 garlics. they are curing in the garage.
picked two Brandy Wind tomatoes. Really sweet. One slice covers the bread for my BLT's.
the cherry tomatoes are almost as big as golf balls. getting plenty of those to eat every day.
.......jiminwisc..........

We are not ready to get more guineas yet. I think the last one has been dispatched by the resident predator. Not sure if a fox or a coyote got him. I didn't see him on the road so he wasn't hit by a car - but he hasn't been around the barn last night. I usually see them in the morning at the guinea coop when I drop of a bit of feed for them, I don't feed them much during the summer - they get plenty of bugs and stuff during the day when they are free-ranging - but I like to give them a bit in their food dish so they remember to come home at night. Maybe he moved next door - she feeds them sunflower seeds at the bird feeder.

Two close calls here with a Coopers hawk that tried to grab a hen....lucky it went after the huge orp's I have and it only made away with feathers.....problem is, it will keep coming back. I've lost numerous birds to them over the years, and with the start of a molt, that won't help either making the smaller hens look even smaller.
Egg numbers have dropped almost 50% here....dang

Stay Safe..... bigz

I had guineas in the 80s. I think 8 or 10 of them. Been a long time, but I think they lasted about a year. They are kinda fun to have around and the predators think they are fun to have around also.
Have electric fence around 2 areas of sweet corn. Coon started to get in the 1 patch early. Corn just starting to form on ears. They usually do not hit so early.
I use polytape and roll it up on electric extension cord reels when finished for the season . Then use t post for corners and the 4 foot fi shock post and a t post here and there for extra strength. Works pretty slick. Fast. Then around beginning Sept take it all down.
Mow and Till and seed with rye.

Brandy wine tomato a good tomato. I used to grow more heirloom tomatoes. Some varieties do not even remember the name. Down sized on the garden, wife does the garden now.

Yep, we allow all the hens to live out their life here. It is sad to see the old ones give up their happy life....I've lost a few older hens this Summer too. The Buckeye hen was 12 years young this Summer before she gave it up.... she had a great life!
Nothing better than a backyard flock to keep you young.

Stay Safe ....bigz

Back
Top Bottom