Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

We welcomed the inch of rain over the last 2 days. It makes weeding harder, but the garden really needed the good soaking. The sandy soil just falls off the weed root when it is really dry, but I need to knock the soil off when it is damp.

The garden is covered with lambsquarters. I looked online and found out it was edible and safe to feed to chickens. My 6-week-old chicks are getting lots of weeds to eat. This batch of chicks prefer weeds and veggies over their commercial feed. They will be good free rangers when they get old enough.

is it too late/early to plant garlic? I have a bunch that my DH got from a co-worker that is seriously sprouting. Smelling up the kitchen and attracting fruit flies.

Anyone have a secret to getting rid of fruit flies? lol

Fruit fly trap: small jar, fill 1/4 to 1/2 inch with apple cider vinegar, add a bit of fruit if you want. Cover top of jar with plastic wrap, wrap rubber band around top of jar to secure plastic wrap. Poke ONE hole in top of plastic wrap with a round toothpick (a hole big enough for a fruit fly to enter). Place near wherever you have fruit flies ( they like to be near water sources to breed as well as by bananas, compost buckets and such). Change solution as needed.

It is not immediate, as in it will
not kill them all right away, but this will eliminate them over time.

garlic should be planted in the fall about 3 weeks before the first hard frost.
since the garlic is sprouting already, I would just go ahead and plant it now.
see what happens.
fruit flies: eliminate what is attracting them. then do the fly trap.

We welcomed the inch of rain over the last 2 days. It makes weeding harder, but the garden really needed the good soaking. The sandy soil just falls off the weed root when it is really dry, but I need to knock the soil off when it is damp.

The garden is covered with lambsquarters. I looked online and found out it was edible and safe to feed to chickens. My 6-week-old chicks are getting lots of weeds to eat. This batch of chicks prefer weeds and veggies over their commercial feed. They will be good free rangers when they get old enough.

is it too late/early to plant garlic? I have a bunch that my DH got from a co-worker that is seriously sprouting. Smelling up the kitchen and attracting fruit flies.

Anyone have a secret to getting rid of fruit flies? lol
Garlic is fall planted, harvested in summer the following year. Plant Sept to Oct, maybe early Nov. Then I would mulch also. Used to grow garlic when had big garden. Find a cool dry area and hang to dry out your garlic.

Way back when I tried growing elephant garlic and tried a niche market. Planted a lot of it. Found local grocery which would buy it, but price was not good. Did a trial run. Then they wanted to buy all I had for a even less price. Learned the store markup was high, waste of time. This is before internet online selling. Sold it at friends feed mill for eating planting, gave it away and eventually couple years later stopped growing it.

Did grow couple other varieties garlic for home use.

Suppose to rain tonight, maybe go out a side dress a little urea on first crop corn, waist high and taller now. really took off last heat wave. Darn stuff so expensive now, urea. Suppose first crop corn will start growing tassel next 10 to 15 days. The tassle stage and growing corn is when corn uses nitrogen the most.

Put 50 lbs urea down between 1st and second crop. 70 percent chance rain when I went out, now 20 percent, Geez. suppose now the nitrogen will volatize . Hopefully get a good dew and with the moisture in the soil from the rain we had will melt some of it in.
Dang weather.

I hope the dew takes care of the urea.
So far we are not too dry here. Our soil is not sandy.
I have to get a little more serious with the lawn mower. Charging up the battery wasn't enough to start it. I don't think the battery even took a charge. I will remove the battery and check all the wires. maybe the switch is corroded? If it gets too involved, I will just give up on it.

We got 1.6 inches last night. I can hear the corn growing in the farm fields.
Got rain here also, do not know how much. Glad to see the rain. See the southern part of state and Iowa in different stages of drought.

have a coil coming for my push around weed wacker. Stopped getting spark at least best I can tell did. I have a cheap spark checking tool, but I did not check to make sure it is still in working order. DId ohm test seemed to much resistance, but do not have the exact specks to check against.

Hopefully the new coil will fix it

Back
Top Bottom