Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

You must have all forgotten that I used to work at a cheese plant..... yes I know it is a lot of milk, but to me (having been in situations like that myself) it would be more comfortable for the cow to have at least some of the milk taken off. I would also think that by letting the poor cows sit like that you run the risk of mastitis.

You can't feed that milk to any of the calves???

Dornes, who do you ship through? Foremost, Alto, etc...?

BL4 - he did get some milk out. We fed some of the milk to calves, but we also feed milk replacer and this tastes way different to the calves that they didn't want too much of it...

We ship to Swiss Valley (they are in Dubuque, IA).

Neighbors barn is on fire. It's a total loss. Milk parlor and freestall barn. Hubby is down there now helping out with what he can as far as the cattle goes. The fire trucks are going past our house still - been going for about 2 hours now.
sad.png
Prayers would be appreciated as they try to piece this back together...

Last edited:
H&R, so sorry to hear about your ankle. Thankfully it wasn't worse. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Bed rest can be no fun, I know.
hugs.gif

Dornes and everyone else with storm damage, I am sorry to hear about that too. At least you are all ok. That is what is most important.

TO, I didn't even get the 8 drops. It was overcast for the majority of the day, but that was about it. We had a good stiff breeze for quite a while, though. It did make the temps seem more bearable.

I'm with Bigz. If you don't have too terribly much corn, I'd try to stake or hill some of it up somehow. We had a storm come through last year & flattened our corn, but we managed to salvage a majority of it, thankfully. Wasn't much fun, but.......
hu.gif
Hopefully you won't have to harvest it all at once this weekend.

BL4, congrats on the fluffballs!

Oh gosh, Dornes, what a horrible thing to happen to your neighbor. Was it lightening? I am sending my very best wishes for a good recovery for them.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Nothing new here, just trying to get ready for DHs family reunion tomorrow. Some of his family comes down from the Neenah area & some from ID. I'm really hoping for dry weather.
fl.gif

Stay safe & sweet dreams, all!

Quote:
Oh, and TO, guilty as charged!
big_smile.png

Just got settled in from our who knows how long of a road trip. Got the cart home but still in the back of the pickup. Had to put it in sideways so it would fit. Met some very nice Amish where I picked it up. They have tons of Belgians. The stud is just gorgeous as did all of the mares and young ones. Looked very well cared for. Then went down the road to another Amish tack shop. To bad it wasn't earlier because it was getting dark so couldn't see to well in the shop. Bought some supplies for my pony.

So it took forever to get there because we had one detour after another. So we took a different way home. Long long day.

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

H&R Hope your ankle is feeling better by morning
fl.gif

Wish we'd get some rain and get it over with !!!

Ok, I'm knodding off, so I'm going to bed !!!

Night all.

Dornes.... Best of luck to your neighbor!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
Hope it's not as bad as it seems now.

H&R.... sure hope you recover soon... sometimes a clean break is better than getting tore up. Don't push it... it needs time to heal!

Maybe my bird is a "Harpie Eagle Game Stork"!
lau.gif
gig.gif
BTW.... where is Jim? Didn't remember him saying he was going to be gone. But then.... I don't remember allot of things!
old.gif
hide.gif

I hope no one else had storm damage! We didn't get anything but clouds and a little wind! Hope we get rain today!

DH's test were so,so they removed a polyp but couldn't get in as far as they wanted (yup... that kinda test!
sickbyc.gif
) He goes back in 6 months. The other test were OK, but they suggested more fiber
hmm.png
His blood sugar has been jumping around but I don't think he watches what he eats like he should
smack.gif
.... I try
he.gif
But I don't want to be too much of a nag!
hu.gif

I got another box of sweet potatoes prepped for canning!
tongue.png

Not much else going on. Hope it's cool enough the next few days so I can clean the coop and get the new roosts in. Jim... (wherever you are) I use both pine shavings and straw. Seems to work pretty good.

Night!

Quote:
DrH, you have the ideal set-up for feed storage.. just attach a short roof to the side of the coop to deflect the water past the concrete, and store your feed under that roof..

OK, I did not have a computer for two days.. MSN had:
"technical difficulties, sorry for any inconvenience"

I have not read many of the posts.. Barn fire, sprained ankle, power out, cows not milked,corn down.. not really what you would call good news, eh? storms?? I did not hear about them..

I sold 4 keets.. Thursday.. Nothing else much happening here..

was hoping my lawnmower part would come so I could have it before the holiday..

Our corn is getting ripe.. had some for a meal.. some was a bit immature, but it tasted ok.. the ripe ones were really sweet.

..........jiminwisc.........

Good Wet Morning Again! Jim it's the porch on the house that the concrete sticks out from. Wish it was the coop! I have the coop devided with a nice storage area for feed/ chick appartment. H&R that sucks about the ankle! Hope it heals quickly but it won't if you don't stay off it.
rant.gif
Dornes hope your bulk tank stayed cool enough that would be such a waste! Barn fires always make me feel so bad for the owners. FT glad you finally got your B'day present! Now be carefull! Cind hope they got all the polyp's, makes me cringe to think about it! Congrats on the hatch bl4! Glad we didn't get hit like some folks! But am going out between the rain with the chainsaw and cutting off the damaged crabtree branch along with some branches on the maples out front that the county trimmed of to stubs last year. They bothered me all last winter, starin at them stupid things. And I suppose someone should go check the corn field for damage.
lau.gif
Haven't checked it yet and it has to be close. But first frying some bacon and sausage for B'fast. Have some very upset chickens this morning. Their in jail till I see that they aren't weedlayers.
gig.gif

Morning all- woke up to the storms rolling through around 4 am. DH had to go and put the thunder shirt on our Irish Setter, so far it seems to be helping her... It has been raining off and on yet.

Thanks for wishes of speedy recovery, I am currently sitting down and playing Wii with DS(6)!

Today the kids will be finishing up their record books and DH and I will be doing paperwork so lots of time to keep the ankle up with ice!

Dornes best of luck to you and your neighbors that had the fire, we are sending hugs your way!

Haven't heard back on the DNA results of the peachick yet- thinking we won't until after Labor Day, don't know how much the hurricane interrupted things.

Hope everyone has a good one!

H&R - please do share when you get those results
smile.png
Where did have to send them to? Like - what state...

Thanks for the advice on the corn - I am going to try to get some of it staked, but my pumpkins were growing all in there and up the corn and... well the pumpkins have made me
barnie.gif
all summer long. They need their own spot next year. Those darn vines.

Walked out the door this morning and the whole valley smells of burn and smoldering hay. The hay mow on the barn was full. Drove down there to take a look at things (and felt horrible doing it). Looks to me like just the top of the barn is gone and the hay is what is burnt. Unless the floor caved in and the lower portion is damaged too. We put a new bulk tank in our barn a year ago (a bigger one than what we had) and haven't yet sold our old one - DH took that down there this morning. Some other neighbors brought some portable milkers. The local dairy supply co is coming out today to help them get things figured out for temp milking facilities. They are organic - so they just can't take their cattle elsewhere to milk them unless they want to lose their organic certification. Or they took them to another local organic farmer. One of the things I love about living in this small town area is that everyone is there to help when help is needed. The amount of vehicles down there this morning and the amount of help that they have gotten from the neighbors thus far is surreal. Just lets you know that everyone is here to help in a time of need.

They think the fire started when the power come back on. (we were out of power for 8+ hours yesterday from bad storms this morning) They had run their generator all day when the power was out and they think that either some wires got too hot and when the power went back on it caused a big surge or that when the power come back on the surge burnt the wires up. So they are thinking electrical. All of the animals were out of the barn, except 3 cats. They were not sure if the cats made it out or not at this point. But no cattle were lost. The next couple days though will be critical in determining if any of the cows suffer from smoke inhalation. DH said that when his uncles barn burnt years ago that no cattle died in the fire but weeks later several died from smoke inhalation.

Well - another day shines upon us. Make it count!

Back
Top Bottom