Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hey where is everyone ????
idunno.gif

I'm still recovering from our road trip. My cold or whatever the heck I have is bothering me again. I have a neck and earache. Don't know if arthritis in the neck can cause an earache??? Geez, and all this started the day after I turned 53 !!!
idunno.gif

Raining here, so haven't taken any pictures. Geez, I either forget to put the card in the camera, have dead batteries, lose the camera like TO does, or it's raining or over cast. Just can't get any pictures taken these days.

All of my guineas are in the camper which is outside of my bedroom window. There is one out there that DOES NOT SHUT UP. I mean it NEVER QUITS doing its thing !! NEVER !!!
They have all the food they want, fresh water !!! Whatelse could they want, other then be let out free to only be eaten !!!

Jim how old are your guineas before you let them out a few hours before dark to get them used to coming in at night?

Oh and does Annie make pies with the frozen apples? Sorry I'm a beginner at all of this stuff at the ripe old age of 53 !!
lau.gif
Gotta learn sometime, only problem is remembering what you learn !!

Been reading my horse Driving books and started watching my video's from Giddyupflix.com It's been a few years since I drove my horse so I will be taking it REAL SLOW. Sure wish I had a good horse trainer up here that gives driving lessons !!!
th.gif
On my own. Kind of like typing, only alot more dangerous. As I'm reading and watching I do remember what I learned but now I need the experience behind the lines !!!!
fl.gif

Sure did fall in love with the Amish's Belgians !!!
love.gif
They also had RIR and meat birds free ranging. How could I not notice chickens ?
lau.gif

I was able to get my hands on a used harness for the pony from a neighbor, just need to clean it up and check it out for any wear etc.

Will have to take another trip down to Amish country and get all of my harness's oiled. It will cost between $7-12 each to dip them in harness oil but if I buy the oil myself it will be at least $12 a gallon !!! That is alot of oil. An no I am not going to do draft size harness's one small piece at a time. They have vats that are at least 50 gallons with a big wire basket to submerge the whole thing at once. Then they let it drip for quite some time. But first I have to clean them all. They are loaded with chicken dust !!!!
barnie.gif

Have to drive to Town (30 miles) to deliver eggs
he.gif
Is there no rest for the wicked !!! They need duck eggs and a happy customer is a steady custormer. So I am going to call a few stores and see if they have the spices I need to make that zuchinni soup. Then I am going to go to Wally world and pick up some Echinacia (sp) and try to fight this whatever I have going on !!
DH ET came in the house yesterday with a poor BR young hen with a huge wound on her head. We had combined two pens of young pullets and a few roosters. Obviously she is on the low pecking order or a rooster found her real tempting. I tend to think is is from another hen because I've not seen the roosters mounting yet. Anyway, first I put triple antibiotic on it and kind of squeezed it shut but when she moved her head it opened back up, so then I sprayed it with blue-kote (which I think stung cause she didn't like it) then I took a curved needle with thread and stitched it up !!!
ep.gif
In the spring I we put down two or three Ameruacana hens because of the same type of injury and this one looked very fresh so I thought I would give it a try. Then I gave her a shot of Tylan 50. Syringed her some water mixed with electrolyes and a baby aspirin (to reduce swelling) Then a drop of baby vitamins.
She started eating last night.
This morning her head has just a tad bit of swelling (not at all like the Ameruacanas that we culled) and she is still eating but she keeps her eyes closed most of the time.
So we shall see how she does.
fl.gif
fl.gif
Main goal it keeping her quiet, warm and hydrated.
fl.gif

That's all for now. Hope everyone is high, dry and safe after all of the storms.

Last edited:
Hi again, the lady showed up.. but she wanted BABIES.. Sorry, all I have are baby turkeys.. she made a phone call and then she took two turkeys..

FT. the stuff Annie puts into the water for apples is Fruit Fresh. made by Ball canning company.. You can pick it up at most grocery stores..

Yes, the apples will become apple pies.. Annie does not thaw them completely when she puts them into a pie.. The apples do not turn completely into mush when she bakes the pie.. I would prefer that did they turn into mush,, I am not fond of apple chunks in my pie.. but being the hero that I am, I eat the pie anyway..

If the guineas are old enough to be without auxiliary heat, they can be let out just before dark.. they will to to a light easier when you want to chase them back in..

..........jiminisc........

Quote:
Me Too !! I like the mushier apple pies !!! Yes Jim you are a hero !!! All that you put up with !!!!
gig.gif
Around here anyway !!!
gig.gif

Not sure if I'm going to town !!! Who the heck is going to be going out for eggs in weather like this anyway !!!
idunno.gif

It's down right nasty out there !!! Not used to rain anymore
ep.gif
I think Summer is over, up here anyway !! So much for the four seasons !!
lau.gif
Good thing I got runners on my new cart !!

Good afternoon! Just finished my lunch of...eggs. What else? I am going to the movies this afternoon with my friend (that doesnt have chickens) so if she talks about her grandchild too much I will start with talking about chickens!
ya.gif
We are going to see "The Help" which I have wanted to go to since it came out. I havent been to the theater for ages!

Got back from town today with the feed and I still have to unload it...but I spotted one of those cat condo cages for sale on the edge of the road...got it for $15! I am going to use one of the shelves and the bottom for mine in the house...it is missing those pieces. Then I will find something to do with the rest....They are haveing some celebration in town today with old cars...I think it is the city's 175th anniversary. We dont get the paper anymore so I didnt know about the baking contest or I would have entered...I won it an the 125th anniversary contest.

DH had to go into work today and the kids went to Bristol for the Faire. Pretty quiet around here for sure! I know what you mean about the mud Jim!!! When Carol and her friend Joan were here yesterday we were slippin' and slidin' all over! That Joan is sure a neat lady! Wish my Mom was in such good shape and interested in the stuff I do!

Tomorrow I am canning tomatoes and moving the guineas to the outside pen. I have to pick up some shavings or straw or something to get rid of some of the wet...man it is a mess out there! I would hate to put young birds in a bunch of MUD! Well--guess I better get that feed under cover; it seems like it will rain then the sun comes out! Doesnt know what it wants out there I guess!
Have a great rest of the day everyone! Stay dry! Terri O

ETA: YUCK on mush pies! GIve me chunks any day!

Last edited:
Nice day here today, sorry to hear you are getting rain FT
sad.png

Was able to get the grass cut today and DH also trimmed up the shrubs- our dish for the TV is right in the middle of our hedge so if the plants get to big no TV.

DD and DS(9) just finished typing up their project reports so they will be finished with that today!! Just have to go get some color paper so they can be printed off on the correct colors- each section of the project book is color coded. DD is asking for 4 awards and DS(9) is asking for 2 awards, I will be going in to help read books since each club has to send in readers.

Made brownies last night, not super happy how the recipe turned out, we'll eat them but won't make it again
sad.png

Tomatoes need to be picked again- maybe tomorrow so it will be a bit drier.

Off to get paper, have a good afternoon.

Last edited:
Good Aft Everyone! Worked through the Good Morning part. I was gonna say how brave you were Jim to eat an apple pie with apples in it.
lol.png
Think you'd have eat an apple sauce pie with a spoon. A big spoon. Huh TO?
lau.gif
FT geez hope you shake that bug soon so you can go out and try your new toy! Gonna be about as close to you guys as I get come Wed. Headin to the camper to get some things done around there and GO FISHIN! L's comin up fri eve and we'll probably go home Sun. or I might stay another day or two if I feel like it. I've been prepin fishin stuff and L is makin tons of cookies, she makes the best macaroons I've ever tasted! Plus some chocky chips and fridge cookies. And I thought it was the beer that keeps my feet from getting sunburned.
wink.png
FT hope your hen heals up! Mine are so PO'd right now. I went outside and they were all doin the hopefull Brr brr Brr and when I turned around to go back to the house Bit*h lit right up just screamin at me.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
Man I am so lookin forward to my first vacation since I retired a year ago last spring.

FT Bradley it's just off of Hwy 8 bout 20 miles west of Rhinelander, 7 north of Tomahawk. Said we might come for a visit sometime but not this trip. This one is all about Me Me Me! And L. Fish Fish Fish, mow, a few incidentals and smile A LOT! My face hurts already
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom