Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi!

Ken... congrats on the peeps! Hope all is well with them.

TO... did I miss something about a hen and roo? Sick? gone? Sorry I missed.

Big Z.... Peace to your old nrighbor and her family and friends.

I'm sure I missed stuff... very tired... have to get up REAL early...

My chickens finally got a "pop door"! Now I don't have to leave the people door open for them! Should help keep them warmer in there! Jim... that was a 2 hours to do (had issues finding the hinge) and a year of thinking about it jobs.

OK... Night!

Hey Everyone,

Just checking in again. Everything is going good here. I managed to get my initial stock for my rabbit breeding. I am still hoping to find an English Angora doe but I'm not in any rush. I decided to sell all my chickens and supplies. They just cost way too much and the amount of eggs I get is not worth it at all. I end up having to buy eggs and pay for their food and supplies without getting anything out of them. I found a rabbit breeder that is gonna trade some of my chickens for some of her bunnies. I still have my Oliver Egger from Wynette available and my Black Copper Marans hen I got from CR Farm. I want them to go to someone that will appreciate them and where I bought them from. I'm pretty much just taking offers on them right now or looking to trade them for an English Angora doe or rabbit hutches, cages, supplies, etc. PM me if anyone is interested.

Jim what type of heater do you have in your coop? I just put on a heat lamp in mine. But am thinking when it is -2O it wont keep the chickens or the water thawed. Yesterday I took the water out of the coop, got home from work and it was partially frozen, for now on I am going to have to keep it inside.

David

Good Morning Everybody! GC didn't know rabbits lay more eggs than chickens?
lol.png
Don't think KNA got much sleep last night. Cute pics! CC you forgot to mention to lori that after you decide then you change your mind several times!
lau.gif
Chicken math! TO I thought your barn was downhill from your faucet? Couldn't you just disconnect it at the faucet and drain it? You could make your own heated hose with roof tape. Don't know what the cost difference would be. Jim I've done that too, pretty neat when the ice comes shooting out of it. I too am hoping the driveway freezes before the snow flys. Not that I'm looking forward to winter but I am kind of chomping at the bit to try the snow bucket.
hide.gif
Bigz sorry to hear about your loss! Funerals are always a sad way to see people that you don't normally. I was surprised to see the kids spent the whole day outside yesterday. Maybe they know it's getting close to no more grass and bugs. I have to go out and help Btwo get into the coop now. There's an slw that stands in the doorway and won't let her in. And of course Peatwo won't go in unless she does.
roll.png
Think it's gonna take a month or so to get these lil piggies down to laying weight again. Have a good one!

Good chilly Morning All!
Well I saw an ad for a wyandotte and a "silkied serama" on the CL last week... well I got them, both young, the wyandotte is a gold lace pullet/young hen. and the other..
Well lets just say the poor lady who bought the hatching eggs was duped, even if she had wanted him.. he isn't a silkied serama, he is a silkie with an incorrect comb. I will find him a home with some one come spring.
Work has been sporadice, busy some weeks, less on others. I was supposed to ride today, and the lady cancelled and wanted to reschedule for tomorrow, so now I am free for the day.
I have hay coming, and need to get chicken food. They got horse grain and corn yesterday, yum yum!
LOL
Carol

My DS4's peeps that he is now responsible for, with coaching from day of course.

The first hatched and 1 day old! From ameracana egg
105117_dscf4579.jpg

Hatched today -- White highlights from ameracana egg
105117_dscf4574.jpg

Hatched today -- Brown and white tummy from brown egg
105117_dscf4572.jpg

White/yellow bird -- From white egg
105117_dscf4571.jpg

7 hours of sleep last night is plenty...
wink.png

Those chicks are wonderful- I don't know if I can wait until spring. I know I need more education so I can care for my chicks in the best way possible..I just can't wait!! I went to Nasco and bought some good books on raising chickens because they were checked out at our library...and why O why can I have only 6 chickens?
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
good morning, cold out there today.. not unearable though.

DrH you got your wish, the driveway is frozen before the snow flies.. It looks like it is going to stay frozen, too..

TerriO, you can make your own "hill" .. just raise the faucet end of your hose .. drape it over a tree branch or anything like that .. It can drain both ways..

Dave!! good to hear from you.. I bought my heater from Menard's.. It is a small ceramic heater.. cost was $17.89 or so.
I have the box outside yet, I can look at the brand if you need it.
It would heat that llittle coop of yours, easily.. You don't want it too warm, just enough to keep the water from freezing plus a little more.. otherwise your chickens won't be able to go outside at all during the winter..

Lori, I never saw anybody so anxious to begin a life of heartache, subjugation to birds and financial ruin, before.. You do understand that 6 will not be enough, and that when you want more, more, more, you will have to sell your house and move into the country into a shack, compared to what you are living in now.. but the chickens will have a palace.. not to mention how the need will arise to have 4 dogs, 12 cats, goats and a beefer and some pigs..

.........jiminwisc.........

Jim and all. Work has been horrible as of late, so much to do, never enough time, been going in on my own time in the evenings and weekends just to stay caught up. I put a 250 watt bulb last night in the coop. I came home yesterday and the chicken's water had a thin crust of ice. It was 21 degrees at my house this am but the coop was a nice 43 degrees. Is that too hot? I finally ran elecrTric out to the coop and buried the wiring last weekend. I partically blocked about half the ventilation so I am not heating outside. I wil monitor the moisture. I am still getting 7 eggs a day. Someone is laying monster eggs, wish i could find out who. I am also adding cracked corn to their diet for te winter. What do you guys supplement the feed with in winter

david

Jim... well I already asked Terri O if I could pitch a tent at her farm...

I would ANYTHING!!! to live in the country- right now I will have to settle for 6 hens- no roosters allowed inside the city limits, 1 minature dauchsund, 3 daughters, 1 garden that gets a little bigger each year...I'd like to sneek a goat or two in, but I don't want the PO PO showing up- unless I can give them some baked goods and keep them off my back. I have a little plan for them if need be..have to try and keep one step ahead of them.
Yes I am very excited and the farm living is the life for me!! Apron and all!!

Back
Top Bottom