Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Quote:
what goes around comes around, eh? It was not that long ago that the same thing did happen with me.. and somebody chided me.. Hmmmm who could that have been ??

Good Morning All! I'm here CC, not hunting again this year Cind. Don't know if I'll hunt anymore. Killed/ate a lot of deer over the years and I seemed to have lost my interest in it. Another one in the win column for the Pack but it was a dicey one. Thought the D# had turned around, guess not. Btwo has layed for 3 says in a row now hoping the others will slim down and lay soon. Peatwo was practising his goose stepping yesterday
idunno.gif
He's a silly boy! Have a lot going on today. Picking up dead cow for the freezer, helping BFF cut up a nubber for his dad, then out to help the DD's BF cut up a small doe. Plus I have a bunch of things I want do around here. Looks like a good week to get the last of the fall things finished. Did I miss a post from Bigz? Too many things to remember and comment on.
th.gif

My husband got a big buck bow hunting a few weeks ago so yesterday he decides to shoot a fawn that wasn't with its mother (no doubt she was already dead). He comes home and says "I should skin it while it's warm". And then what? Leave a skinless animal hang until you decide to cut it up? Gross! That didn't happen.

Terri I'm sooooo sorry!!
sad.png
I was in the er with a migrain most of Saturday- felt like I had the worst hangover on Sunday from the migrain..I left your number at the office so I couldn't even call and our internet is down because we are changing services. I hope I can make it up to you. I couldn't wait to get to work and touch base with you! I hope you will forgive me- it is not something I am used to telling someone I will help and not following thru....talk to you soon!!

Hi again, DrH, seems like you are cutting up a deer about every other week.. My brother gave me deer from bow hunting..It was small and he didn't want to spend the $85.oo to have it processed.. His wife won't let him and the sons cut up deer in "her" basement anymore.. she never had to help and they always did all the clean-up.. but that is just her and her bi-polar thing..

I should cut them up for the guys. HeII, for $80.o a pop, I could make $320.oo this week alone..

had a pleasant surprise this morning..

I found 3 goose eggs in a corner inside the chicken coop.. the Sebastopol's do not go in there except occasionally during the daytime.. and yesterday they both layed their egg out in the hay shelter..
One pair of Toulouse does stay in there overnight.. Now I am wondering if a Toulouse is laying eggs also ?? In the late fall? Never happened to me like this before..
Anybody ever had Toulouse lay in the fall ??

.......jiminwisc........

Quote:
Morning all,

Jim, I see you are going to incubate again !!!!! So how many days has it been since it was shut down for the winter ???? Funny, first snow fall and it get plugged in again !!!!

I was going to plug mine in for a few duck eggs I got from the woman that I bought 3 of the peafowl from. It's been a couple weeks now and still haven't done it so the eggs aren't any good. With my luck I'd get one to hatch and I hate having ducklings in the house. Talk about messy, smelly little things. Adorable but the mess outweighs their cuteness !! lol

Welcome to all the newbies or ones returning !!!
welcome-byc.gif

That's what I thought $85 bucks a pop !!! In one of he papers it was $89. I remember when it was like $35. My Grandpa was a butcher and he would come over and help my Dad do the deer in the basement. We were kids and all I remember was the gross smell of the dead deer, actually it was probably the smell of blood.

Our basement isn't setup for doing it. To cluttered since I set up the silkie pens.

I want to have sausage made and good stuff like that, there goes some more $$$$$ It's been so long since I've had a deer roast. Don't remember what it tastes like. I do remember not being very fond of just plain venison but I guess I will have to try different seasonings. I like the brats, sausage and jerky, made with lots of garlic !!

Dr Ha, I wouldn't think it would take two guys to cut up a RUBBER !!!!
gig.gif
Must be an Extra Large one !!!
gig.gif

Cind, just saw your PM. I will PM you my address in just a bit !! Thanks Much !!

Morning all! Great to see you are "back" Jim! I have had my Toulouse for 25 years now and they have never laid in the fall! That is pretty strange...mine always start in late winter and then the first eggs end up freezing...maybe they are trying something new? The Sebbies are teaching them tricks...
I cant believe that they charge that much up there for processing! Mine was only $50; then of course the sausage price in addition...I will not get that much sausage again! DH says it is not spicy enough...he sure is sucking it down though-- (Ate a whole stick already!) so maybe it wont last until doomsday!

DrH--small wonder why you arent hunting...cutting up all those animals you probably get plenty to take home! (easier that way?) Or did you get shot at or something? Dont wanna kill stuff? I find it interesting when people's hobbies just "change."

DD25 is early today so I will finish this post later! T

Hi again, Annie just got back from town.. She said that she saw a Toulouse sitting in that corner, but didn't think much of it.. There are just too many eggs accumulated to be all Sebs because I have only 2 Seb geese.. and lately that Toulouse gander has been acting like a gander.. he has all the other geese chased out of the coop and he and his mate hang together, apart from the other 5 geese..

I only had one deer processed at a butcher shop, way back in 1965.. I have done lots of them on my kitchen table.. I made a yoke to hang them .. I hoist them with the tractor bucket and skin them.. then I let them hang overnight and cut off pieces and take the pieces in as I cut them up and package them.. It takes me a couple of hours to cut up a deer alone.. If I wasn't doing all the small cuts, like chops, roasts etc, and grinding the whole thing I could do it in about an hour..

The best sausage I ever had made was at Hedkes' in Hatley.. they have since retired.. there is a butcher shop right at the city limits of Bowler that uses the same recipes as Hedke did.. I always had extra mustard seeds added,, and instead of pork, we used beef. and I always took my deer meat to them in June. that way I was sure to get only my own meat back.. we made only summer sausage..

Hi Again--had to check out that link FT...my favorite part is this:
Arrange them on a plate with the turnip greens, celery, and garlic paste to look like the cicadas are climbing out of a mud pie onto green foliage.

Yeah...now that picture would make me want to eat the for sure! I would try something that included them like maybe the bread but I dont think I could get past the "hold the head and bite ff the rest" part! And I though my beagle was gross for eating all the mealie's bedding!
sickbyc.gif

Little Farm--were you guys the ones that had to move a while back? I seem to remember somebody that had to and was selling out of their stock...back on track now? Anyhow--glad to hear from you again!

Lori--I didnt get anything built anyhow...so I wasnt doing it by myself! I decided to can up my beans instead. I figured that you must have run into a snag of some sort--no worries! THere is always another time. I hope you have recovered from your migraine...not fun for sure! I have only had a few and dont want to have any more--ever!

So now that DD has gone to work I forgot all that I was going to comment on in my earlier post...darn! I guess I better get to work. They are taking my car for FL so I need to get the thing cleaned out...I sure hope DH likes his surprise!
Have a fantastic day! Terri O​

Back
Top Bottom