Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Not much new here. We got a solid freeze last night. Time to go dig out the tomatoes. Waiting for carol to head over... my neighbor is selling his farm and had some cattle panels he offered up to me. My CSA had just been telling me they are the best thing for trellising tomatoes so we were going to go buy some. Prefer to save some cash where we can!
My new D'uccle are still a little skittish. The older hen will come over and visit for treats. She has that figured out just fine. The roo is the most skittish. Hoping he snaps out of it and takes care of his girls!
Baby chicks are so cute and with momma in the little shed we are going to attach to the coop. Worked well as a brooder for them. Momma and 4 babies and 2 bales of hay is about what it fits. When in use, will only have one spare bale in there with them, 2 nest boxes I am building and a roost. Just some extra space and something to use as a sick pen or brooder when needed.
Kids are home at lunch time today so not as much fun time for me to get stuff done. Cleaned out the pantry, which needed it!

guess who I ran into out driving around this weekend!

clap.gif
Cool! Where were you?

MJ-That is cool! I love that show!

Vicki-I thought she was a battery but could not remember! Most battery hens get booted at about 18 to 24 months old from the commercial operations. I'm not surprised she is having troubles at 24 months. If she can manage to get through this and not have it happen again, she can live quite a while as a pet. I'd watch her and if she starts to decline, I'd suspect she does have internal issues or a paratonitis (sp). Not much you can do but help ease her suffering. I'm sorry but I'll say a little prayer for her!

thank you MLH! She's not (like all 4 of my hens) a "battery" in the true sense, but now that I think about it I guess she is. they came from a guy who, tho well meaning, (aren't most) got in over his head before he knew what he was doing. Bought 100 chicks, put in an 8x12 dirt floor cage (actually wired off a corner of a VERY old dilapidated barn) and started selling eggs. Worked out so well (he thought) he bought another 100 until he was up to 200 younger birds in the first 8x12 and 200 older birds in the 8x12 next to it. ONe set of 8 nest boxes, no roosts (oh I think there was a stick in there) a water pan and feed dish in the middle on the ground. At some point he realized he screwed up and ran an add to sell them all. What I basically got (except one) was what was left. Soup was the only one in great shape (except very under weight) and my guess is she had either escaped and he just had caught her or??? She even still had her butt feathers and showed no sign of rooster mauling like the others.

Evening all!

THIS IS A PUBLIC PEEP ANNOUNCEMENT!!

So, now that I have your attention, I need your guys help. Actually DH needs your help!
Nutrena is making a poster of some breeds and we were able to get most of the breeds on their list while we were at Portage. There were some breeds that we could not get. What we need are some good to high resolution shots with a white back ground of both a hen and a rooster-if possible- of these breeds:
Buff Orpington
Delaware
Speckled Sussex

I need a rooster only for the Production Red.

DH will get you some feed in exchange for your photos. The only thing is that you do need to sign a simple release. You also will get a copy of the poster!
PM me if anyone can help! Thanks!

Monday Night Big Game To All.... just a quick note...hard to believe that Seattle paid 25 million for a three year deal to get Matt Flynn...and he's sittin on the sidelines....if i wanna make money guess I should buy a football team!

GO PACK
wee.gif
wee.gif

Later bigz

Back
Top Bottom