wish me luck

coachwife2004

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Texas
I'm picking up my babies tomm (5 cochins) wish me luck and hope that everything goes well if anyone has any last minute advice lay it on me!!! I'm very excited
wee.gif

Put your chick starter feed in a blender or coffe grinder. It will turn into much smaller pieces that the chicks can eat very easily. This will give them a healthy head start. Be sure to dip their beaks in the water as soon as you get them home. Good luck!

Yay! Little baby chicks are so exciting.
ya.gif
Good luck with them!
jumpy.gif

If they are a bit weak you can put a little sugar in their water. I think it was sugar. If you don't have food available, you can give them mashed up egg yolk and it's good for them and all that.
As RHewitt said you can dip their beaks into the water and food to help them get used to where everything is. When I got my chicks they screamed blue murder when i picked them up and put their beaks into the water. Don't worry about this- they're just a bit nervous about their new surroundings.
It's good you got 5- they can keep each other company.
Be sure to keep their brooder dry and clean damp brooder bedding can grow mould that are fatal to chicks and chickens- they literally drop dead. Make sure you have some kind of bedding that's non-slippery- if the chicks have to walk on some slippery floor they will develop this thing, the name's slipped me for a moment, where their legs don't grow properly and they can't walk.

Good luck with your beautiful little chicks!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom