Witnessed A Vandalism CLOSE-UP (UPDATE Post# 116)

I guess I'm a softie cause I'd let them replace and repair the mailboxes and let it go at that. If they are good kids, it will be enough. If they are bad, they will do something that will create a record for them in the future regardless if you let them off now or not. Just my thoughts.

I think most boys in that age group do some kind of vandalism. They don't realize how bad it really is.

Sounds like it was kind of scary. Like you said they probably would have run off, but they could have been drunk or on some real drugs. If they were stoned they would have been sitting at home eating potato chips.

Too bad the cops couldn't keep them overnight without some kind of record like Andy Griffith used to do in Mayberry. Let them see what it's like in a cell for a little while.

I don't think it should matter if these were good kids or bad kids. I would press charges.

I live in a small town and the definition of good kid/bad kid in our town is based upon the relationship of the officer and the parents. The "important" families in town have children that can get by with almost anything. Our town officer convinced me to let things go when our neighbor was being a punk. I let it go and it eventually escalated to him becoming physically violent with me. I found out that the officer's son played ball with my neighbor's son and that was the reason for letting him off easy so many times.

good kid or bad kid, first time or second, they need to be held accountable.
Even if they do go to court their not going to be charged much, except for community service and restitution.
I raised 3 boys and been around 3 step sons and all their friends. The ones who were made to own up to their
wrong doings turned out for the better and more responsible in the end. The ones who were bailed out, are still
being bailed out in their adult life.
I called the cops on my boys, twice. I am old school, you don't break the law.

Quote:
I see that many times over and over in small towns.
roll.png

Tough situation.Being alone in an isolated area I might pass on the charges since they know it was you,and it's a small town and all.Young people kill.Read to many stories to think good endings.

It is a good thing you did not stand up.People with bats and 2x4's caught in the act of a crime might not just drive away. If you press charges they,or their parents,or friends may *steam* over this and do something to you.Shoot,they may anyway just for you getting them busted.

Not sure what I would do,but I guess I learn towards charges despite the fear. I am glad you got them and that you are OK.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think boys of this age tend to do dumb things like this and have no clue how it affects others. Prime example...my wonderful hubby who smashed probably more than his fair share of mailboxes out here in the boonies. Until our mailbox was smashed to bits many years ago he had no clue what kind of property damage he was doing. I had to laugh a little as he replaced the box, and so did he.
tongue.png
I think he turned out just fine. On the other hand, every action has a consequence. I kind of wished the cops would have kept them there overnight just to give them a little taste. I don't think I would press charges. However, at the very least they need to apologize to you and your neighbors and replace the mailboxes and the fridge.

As a parent to an 18 and 14 y/o who are normally very well mannered and behaved, yes, I would REQUIRE them to pay for replacing the damaged property in full. However, I would also be asking the police to charge them. Esp the 18 y/o. Because they are going to learn the hard fast rule, you don't act like a criminal without consequences.

First ...... it was wrong it is was illegal

Second ..... as others have said, perhaps, "you do the crime, you do the time".

However, perhaps there is a "middle of the road" here

What if
1. They were required to repair and replace the mailboxes (a given, no option)
2. They are required to do "community service" (some set number of hours each) AT THE HOMES OF THE PEOPLE WHOSE MAILBOXES WERE DESTROYED. The homeowners choice of jobs. I'm sure there are some jobs that those homeowners would LOVE to have done, free of charge! Grass mowings, weed eating, coop cleaning, etc, etc

Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom