wives/fiances/girlfriends: any advice for getting my BF to finish coop

Some guys can be bribed, too.
Hubby will accept power tools when he runs into a situation where his work would improve with one, and many men can be tempted by electronics. But remember, no flat-screen television unless Mike Holmes would approve his work!
lol.png

Oh and um, remind him that guys that can't fix things and do renos are not keepers! *Ahem*.
wink.png

Last edited:
You're in Nebraska? Yep, first thing I would do would be to bring the chickens in the house, as close to his guy cave as possible. That would be the hall just outside my dh's computer room.
lol.png
And would then follow that up with a free estimate from a contractor, or two, left where he will be sure to see it. The nuisance factor together with the threat to his wallet should do the trick. I'd then give it the weekend and if this fails by Monday, call the contractor and set a date. If he won't do the work he can pay the bill.
tongue2.gif

This is how things get done at my house. Been married 40 years, too.

Manipulation 101

Make sure he sees your indoor preparations. Make a big noisy deal out of finding the right old clothes, find the perfect gloves, fill up a water bottle or a thermos as if you are going camping. Gotta catch his attention....but SAY NOTHING. Hum a little. Act important, happy, eager. Go out the door. He WILL peek out the window.

Gather tools, look at the wood, pick pieces up and inspect them. You have to give him time to decide and get dressed.

Pick up the biggest piece of wood or window or whatever that you can handle. You might consider just moving the table saw across the yard (unplug it first!) It doesn't really matter what it is.

Pretend to stagger a bit. This is not the time to show off your womanly strength and stamina.

Pretend to drop the edge of it on your foot, or bump your shin, or something creative. Put the item down and sit on the grass, facing AWAY from the house.

Rub your leg, foot, whatever, for a minute or so. Look at all the tools, wood, shingles, etc. Take off a glove and use the edge of your sleeve to dab at your eyes. It is important that you be facing away from the house at this point so he does not see you laughing.

You may have to get up again and wander around aimlessly, picking up and putting things down in confusion.

If he is still not out there with tools in hand, you will have to pull out the big guns: pick up an electric saw and move out of his line of sight. Plug it in and turn it on. You don't necessarily have to use it, just the sound will bring him running.

I got a lot of fencing put up using this technique. Funny, when I asked the guys at TSC how to install it, they never told me about this method. It works the best for a variety of tasks.

IMPORTANT: As stated by other BYCers, lots of praise is important. Admire his muscles, intelligence, skill with tools, etc. Watch and admire for a while, then ask if he would prefer your help, or if he'd rather you go in and make his favorite dinner.

DON'T attempt these techniques during an important game on tv!

My SO gives me the "look" when she wants something done and it is not a "I will kill you look", it's the other "look"
wink.png
wink.png

Do I need to say IT WORKS EVERYTIME.

Crazy hens....... Call your Ex and have him do it. You current BF will either get off his lazy ars and get some crap done or leave in a jealous rage. Either way you have you coop done and no one is laying around free loading.
tongue.png

And if any of you think you have "us men" fooled by the manipulation .... oh ppppuuuullleeeaaaasssseeeeee.....
lol.png

I say...screw it. Figure out how to do this stuff yourself. There's no reason to not learn how to use a table saw. Look up some DIY sites and get some safety info (ps, you need safety glasses and gloves). If you need him to help you lift something then ask for just that. Then he can go back to watching football and drinking beer or whatever he does when he's not building the coop.

My husband was great about helping, but I did a lot of the things by myself. You don't need to bug him, manipulate, or make him feel bad. If it's not the best job in the world, you can always change and add things later.

Just give it a shot! A serious attempt! You don't need a man to do this!

lol.png
the reward yes I do. But them my wife KNOWS manipulation just won't work.

I burn it at both ends all the time so when something doesn't get done it's truly because I just cannot get to it.

Quote:
PMing you my address
wink.png
lau.gif
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif
Thats funny right there!! She should be very grateful. I am lucky enough to have a DH like you Michael and I make sure he knows how much I appreciate and love him. I too am a stay-at-home wife/Mom. It took me 3 trys to find Mr. Right and I am not going to take him for granted!

Back
Top Bottom