wives/fiances/girlfriends: any advice for getting my BF to finish coop

NewChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Omaha, NE
we started it about 6 weeks ago....

i bought a 10x10 shed kit from home depot, we built the shed in about 2 weeks, i painted it, built the outside runs and my bf cut the holes out for each run. i helped him build the roof and then h promised he'd finish it the next weekend.... that was a month ago!!

there's still felt and shingles to go on the roof, inidvidual coops to go on the inside and doors still need to get put on!!

i cannot do these things myself, otherwise they'd be done. i've never used a table saw or any sort of saw, so i'm scared to cut the wood for the inside coops and i've never done shingles.

any ideas for getting him off his booty and finishing the coop before snow comes??

Whatever you do, don't nag him. Men do not like to be told what to do by a woman. It makes them do the opposite.

Do what my mom did instead of nag my dad - she would pick up whatever tool(s) needed to finish a job (painting, repairing, wallpapering) and start to do it herself even if she had no idea what she was doing.
When Dad noticed how badly she was doing it, he couldn't stand it and took over the job and finished it.

Trade him for something he'd really, really like. Wink wink, nudge nudge.
wink.png
wink.png
big_smile.png

Unfortunately, in my house, that would be brownies.
hu.gif
hit.gif

What Buff said--get ready to do it yourself, ask him the proper way to do it, and get busy. Chancs are he will help, but if he doesn't--you learned a new skill.

Quote:
tsk-tsk. Young women today have no idea about how to manipulate their men to do their bidding.
wink.png

Go out there and start fooling around with the ecoutrements. Don't say ANYthing. Just go like you've made your mind up that anything HE can do, you can figure out how to do. He'll see you thrashing around and come (riding a white steed!) to the rescue. At least - that's the theory.

Mind you, that doesn't work magically at my house. I have to endure a certain spectator who will not offer up help until I'm on my very last nerve. BUT...it gets done eventually.

Plus, you might find that it's not necessarily rocket science and you can indeed do shingles, etc. Stuff I don't know - I "YouTube" and SOMEbody has made a video of it.
lol.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I love that idea. In my house you have to make dh feel so important. You have to say Honey, I am really worried about the chickens, if we don't get this house finished for them, they will freeze. Could you please help me get this done so I don't have to worry about them any more. It would mean so much to me if you would just do this for me.
sickbyc.gif
I know it is sickening
sickbyc.gif
. but boys will be boys and they like to feel important.

However, my momma didn't raise a fool! She taught me to be self reliant and showed me how to use a hammer and a saw and a calk gun and an air gun and so on. She told me to NEVER leave yourself where you HAVE to rely on someone else (male or female) to help you. You can do anything you set your mind to. Go to the library and get a do-it-yourself book or look online there is the diy channel search for that and find out how to use the power tools.

You can do it.

tell DH if he does not help you, your BYC Peeps will come knocking down his door!!!!
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png
(here we come!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask contractors for a free estimate. i went for a roof repair estimate once for my old dental hygentist. She had been wanting a new house. I went to give the estimate and her husband came home for lunch. He was a contractor! Within a month they bought a new house. You can adjust this strategy to your own needs.

Back
Top Bottom