Wobbley head*Update* Resolved!

Quote:
I too learned about them on this forum and had my doubts about feeding them whole, in the shell. But the hens LOVE them and pick them out of the food before they eat anything else. It's a toss up whether they love shredded cheese or whole black oil sunflower seeds best. I figure if they can eat something as sharp and jagged as oyster shell they can eat anything.

So glad your "bobble head" is doing better.

I am a true believer in freerange. I believe freerange chickens balance their own diet (proof is in experience).I also am a believer that soy based protein is not enough for chickens.

I used to add protein to my chickens diet through cat food, but decided that there may be other things in cat food that may just as well not be good for chickens...good for an immediate need but concerning for long term use.

I give my chickens all my leftovers...including any meat. I also give them raw meat when we clean game or fish. I figure if they eat frogs, salamanders, and mice...raw meat is good enough for too. I've also started taking a lot of the meat that is unusable during deer processing and I grind it and freeze it in ice cube trays...then I pop them out and put them in ziplocks. In the winter, when the bug population disappears, I give them 1-2 thawed block a day as a treat. THEY LOVE IT.

Good luck...
Sandra

Back
Top Bottom