Wobbly chickens- dying.

Hello all. We have lost four older (4+ years) hens to a mysterious illness over the past few months. Symptoms begin with wobbly/off balance gate. Falling over while walking and catching themselves with their wings.
Eventually they stop walking altogether, find a spot to sit and slowly die.
They still eat and drink as long as they can walk to the feed/water.

I thought it was an old age problem, but now the issue has begun with one of our younger hens (1.5 years old.)

It is NOT bumblefoot. It is NOT scaly leg mite. Their feet and legs are fine. It seems to be neurological- possibly. They have no visible injuries, and no other symptoms.

I thought it was possibly botulism. So, I threw out old waterers and bought new ones- and make sure to keep them clean.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what could be going on?

With one of the older chicks I gave her some B vitamins and that seemed to help for a short time, but she eventually died.

Any suggestions are helpful.
Thank you!
Did you find out if it was Mareks? I’m about to lose hen 3 and I suspect mareks.

Different symptoms. Hen 1 and hen 3 similar. Slow, seemed unable to find or peck for food. Pale or smallish comb. Blackish discharge or poop coming out of bottom. Hen 2 just dropped dead no symptoms. Hen 4 has white stuff coming out of bottom which others had in beginning.

Back
Top Bottom