Wobbly chickens- dying.

HeatherinLoomis

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
Hello all. We have lost four older (4+ years) hens to a mysterious illness over the past few months. Symptoms begin with wobbly/off balance gate. Falling over while walking and catching themselves with their wings.
Eventually they stop walking altogether, find a spot to sit and slowly die.
They still eat and drink as long as they can walk to the feed/water.

I thought it was an old age problem, but now the issue has begun with one of our younger hens (1.5 years old.)

It is NOT bumblefoot. It is NOT scaly leg mite. Their feet and legs are fine. It seems to be neurological- possibly. They have no visible injuries, and no other symptoms.

I thought it was possibly botulism. So, I threw out old waterers and bought new ones- and make sure to keep them clean.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what could be going on?

With one of the older chicks I gave her some B vitamins and that seemed to help for a short time, but she eventually died.

Any suggestions are helpful.
Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your hens.
What's their diet? Were they vaccinated for Mareks.
They are fed Nutrena layer pellet from Southern States. But I have switched food a few times due to low egg production. They used to be fed Dumor from tractor supply and Purina layer pellet as well.
They are not free range- they are confined to a run- but a large run.

I’m not sure if they were vaccinated- I bought them as chicks from Southern States.

I don’t believe it is Mereks because their legs work. They can walk fine- they just lose balance. They are not paralyzed until the last day or two of life.

My first guess would be Marek's disease too.
What state are you in?
If you look below in my signature area, there is a link to a thread that has all state labs. The lab will tell you why your birds are dying...with a necropsy.
In some states it only cost $25.

My first guess would be Marek's disease too.
What state are you in?
If you look below in my signature area, there is a link to a thread that has all state labs. The lab will tell you why your birds are dying...with a necropsy.
In some states it only cost $25.
Im in NC. I know where our animal diagnostic lab is, drive past it all the time. Good idea- thank you. I’ll take the next one that passes in and find out what’s going on.

Back
Top Bottom