Wobbly cockerel, can't figure out what his problem is - Help!

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
I have an approximately 7-month-old Brahma cockerel who has been just not quite right for about two or three weeks now. Symptoms: He walks a little and then lies down, leaning forward. He looks like an old man with arthritis when he walks. When he turns fast, he stumbles and wobbles a little. He won't scratch. He will dust bathe, but just lies on his side in the dirt, again not scratching. He walks slowly and runs slowly, again, lying down every so often. He will lie down to eat.

Poop is normal, he is eating well. He is a little thin, but not unusually so for a growing boy. I have been giving him extra vitamins and extra protein. He doesn't roost, so didn't jump down and hurt himself.

Has anybody out there had this same problems? Any ideas?

I am no expert, but it sounds like something is hurting him. I know you said he didn't hurt himself, but he could have a leg injury or back injury. Does he seem lethargic or just slow? If his energy is the same yet he moves slower than usual I would suspect an injury. If he is acting lethargic than you are probably dealing with an illness or some type of internal issue like a heart problem or possibly worms.
Just to be sure, make sure he isn't suffering from anything external, like mites, fleas, lice etc... I'd pay close attention to his legs. Are his joints swollen? Look at the bottom of his feet to make sure there are no scabs or symptoms of bumblefoot. You can check his reflexes by picking him up and setting him down. Does he stretch out his toes or do they curl up so he lands on his knuckles. If he lands on his knuckles than this is a sign of lameness. Pick him up again and tilt him to the side until his legs "hop" ( to catch himself) then tilt him to the other side to make sure his other leg does this as well. This tests his reflexes and balance. The vet showed me this when I took my rooster in for similar symptoms. Unfortunately I have still not figured out what is wrong with my guy. He has been unsteady and wobbly for a couple months now. He is an old guy though so I am thinking he is having organ problems or arthritis.
It doesn't sound like you are dealing with Mareck's because although I've never experienced it myself I have heard that it tends to be quicker than that and the chicken usually stops eating.
When he lays down and leans forward, does he extend his neck out? Or does he lean his whole body forward as to take weight off of his legs?
Also even though you said his poop is normal is it possible he has worms or eaten anything moldy or unsanitary? These types of symptoms can be a result of many things and can be hard to figure out. Believe me I have searched and searched trying to diagnose my rooster.

I have a 7month old EE pullet that has the same symptoms. I'm currently treating her and everyone else for parasites. She's been unwell for about 3wks now and though eating/drinking normally she doesn't do much of what she used to. She hardly leaves the coop/run. Doesn't follow the other girls when I let them out to range. everyone I've talked to about her tell me look for injury, treat for parasites/vitamins/extra protein.

Thanks for the help! I have never seen any mites or lice on him and treat all my flock regularly with Eprinex (sp?). They are about due to get wormed again, so I probably will do it this weekend. I am giving him extra protein and vitamins. He isn't getting any worse and looks like maybe he is getting a tiny bit better, at least he runs from me when I approach now - he's probably tired of me poking and prodding him! He doesn't seem to be as wobbly, either, but that may just be wishful thinking. He eats very well but usually lays down while he is eating.

He doesn't stretch out his neck when he lays down, he just kind of rocks forward so he is leaning on his chest instead of his legs. He is going to be a very large boy.
31698_p1020430.jpg

Sorry to say this, but this is something BIG birds deal with. It's like growing pains, he should be fine, but I would consider not breeding him.

Back
Top Bottom