Wobbly Drunk Hen

Lice & mites are nasty. I found some on my Rooster, on his chest, none were on his vent...yet. Another had some scabs, and mites were under the scabs on top of his wings. Look over a chicken's entire body, sometimes those nasty parasites will congregate in a different spot.

I've had a few hens suddenly seem lame over the years. With mine, it was calcium deficiency. I gave calcium gluconate daily for 5 days, then made sure there was plenty of oyster shell grit available going forward. Usually, by day 2 or 3 of the calcium gluconate, the bird walks, stands & is back to normal, if calcium deficiency was the issue.

Here is the dosage.
The amount is ~0.2 ml per pound of bodyweight, which is 100 mg/kg.
Math for 1 pound:
1 / 2.2 x 100 / 230 = ~0.2 ml

Math for a five pound bird is:
5 / 2.2 x 100 / 230 = ~1.0 ml
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Did you take a picture? Google pinworms and tape worms.. did it look one of those??
Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture. I was just freaked out and wanted it off me so I flushed it down the toilet! ...(I'm still itching and feeling things crawling on me! 😖) lol. But no, it didn't look like a worm. It was a tiny off-white bug shaped like a grain of rice.

Lice & mites are nasty. I found some on my Rooster, on his chest, none were on his vent...yet. Another had some scabs, and mites were under the scabs on top of his wings. Look over a chicken's entire body, sometimes those nasty parasites will congregate in a different spot.

I've had a few hens suddenly seem lame over the years. With mine, it was calcium deficiency. I gave calcium gluconate daily for 5 days, then made sure there was plenty of oyster shell grit available going forward. Usually, by day 2 or 3 of the calcium gluconate, the bird walks, stands & is back to normal, if calcium deficiency was the issue.

Here is the dosage.
The amount is ~0.2 ml per pound of bodyweight, which is 100 mg/kg.
Math for 1 pound:
1 / 2.2 x 100 / 230 = ~0.2 ml

Math for a five pound bird is:
5 / 2.2 x 100 / 230 = ~1.0 ml
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thanks for the information! I'll try the calcium too!

Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture. I was just freaked out and wanted it off me so I flushed it down the toilet! ...(I'm still itching and feeling things crawling on me! 😖) lol. But no, it didn't look like a worm. It was a tiny off-white bug shaped like a grain of rice.
Tape worms look like a grain of a rice. I would just google and see what looks like what you saw. Oh man I'd be so freaked out too!!

Yuck...that sounds like a maggot...white grain of rice. (Or yes, a tapeworm possibly.)
Carefully look over Hen's entire body, move her feathers to see her skin & see if there's any sore that needs cleaning. I realize it is February but we have had some mild weather and yes I actually saw some flies today! I was outside wearing a T-shirt and I live in Delaware, where we should still be freezing our winter butts off...So it is entirely possible.

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/housefly4.htm

Yuck...that sounds like a maggot...white grain of rice. (Or yes, a tapeworm possibly.)
Carefully look over Hen's entire body, move her feathers to see her skin & see if there's any sore that needs cleaning. I realize it is February but we have had some mild weather and yes I actually saw some flies today! I was outside wearing a T-shirt and I live in Delaware, where we should still be freezing our winter butts off...So it is entirely possible.

https://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/housefly4.htm
It was oblong shaped. Very tiny. I would have never seen it if I hadn't felt it move and was able to locate it because of that. I assure you it wasn't a maggot. It crawled on legs... quickly.

It's a louse. Inspect her closely especially around the vent area for lice. It's possible you might see lice eggs attached to feather shafts. Coconut oil will remove the lice eggs.
Permethrin dust will take care of lice and mites. It would be best to inspect your other birds and dust inside the coop and nest boxes.
I agree, louse, doesn't sound like worms at all. You can find Permethrin dust at stores like TSC.
..It was oblong shaped. Very tiny. I would have never seen it if I hadn't felt it move and was able to locate it because of that. I assure you it wasn't a maggot. It crawled on legs... quickly.

Back
Top Bottom