Wobbly duckling?

I had no idea the size of the crest could mean anything? He does peep! Fairly loudly if he doesn't care for me holding him. He eats like a machine when he can get to it. Doesn't drink as much as his sibling though. I let them swim earlier...and the other just LOVED it...crested one just kinda drank a little. He didn't preen himself or much of anything as far as playing. He just wanted to lean against my hand and get a bit of water.

Edit: His nares seem clean & eyes are clear. He doesn't blow air from his nostrils in the water though like the other. He doesn't even get his beak deep in the water.

Last edited:
I had no idea the size of the crest could mean anything? He does peep! Fairly loudly if he doesn't care for me holding him. He eats like a machine when he can get to it. Doesn't drink as much as his sibling though. I let them swim earlier...and the other just LOVED it...crested one just kinda drank a little. He didn't preen himself or much of anything as far as playing. He just wanted to lean against my hand and get a bit of water.

Edit: His nares seem clean & eyes are clear. He doesn't blow air from his nostrils in the water though like the other. He doesn't even get his beak deep in the water.
He will but right now he has issues that are keeping him from being like the rest. You have to be very careful with water around one that is wobbly. they can drown so fast. Under the crest the skull only has a flap of fatty tissue no skull so the larger the crest the more open the skull. Supporting with the poultry drench hopefully will help. make sure he gets plenty of food and water too did you put the vits in their waterers too?

Wanted to give you this because it shows a really good home made water for ducklings. Very important they are able to wash out those nares and eyes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
I did put the vits in the water for everyone.

But sadly around 8pm my sweet Tumbles passed. :( so now I'm super diligent with my last duckling who seems great and my 6 remaining chicks. I'm thinking i need to find the duckling a companion though since he'll be alone once i separate him from the chicks

I did put the vits in the water for everyone.

But sadly around 8pm my sweet Tumbles passed.
sad.png
so now I'm super diligent with my last duckling who seems great and my 6 remaining chicks. I'm thinking i need to find the duckling a companion though since he'll be alone once i separate him from the chicks
I am so sorry, you did all you could.
hugs.gif

Maybe TSC still has ducklings may I suggest at least 2 to go with the one you have.

Please let us know how everyone is doing and if you get more ducklings.

@Torntogether

Thanks, i appreciate it.

@Miss Lydia- my TSC gets its babies March 6th so I'll be going there. I'm also frequenting Craigslist to try and find the last duck (now named Cash) some friends.

Last edited:
Thanks, i appreciate it.

@Miss Lydia- my TSC gets its babies March 6th so I'll be going there. I'm also frequenting Craigslist to try and find the last duck (now named Cash) some friends.
I hope they have a breed your interested in too. Did they know what they were getting. I am surprised they are waiting so long the TSC closest to us 25mi. has ducklings and chicks way too early like mid Feb. I am not allowed to go there during chick days. My own rule. lol

Mean while give Cash[cute name ] a stuffed animal and unbreakable mirror so he can see himself/herself. What breed is Cash?

The lady had no idea on breeds. So it'll be a surprise i suppose.
Cash is a Cayuga, so I'm doubtful they'll have those. There was a posting for either Mallards (same age 1 week) or rouens (1day old) near me i could purchase off of CL.
Would either of those be a good match? I'd love to find some swedish blue or black ducks but there's not much variety near me :( what breeds would you suggest?.

The lady had no idea on breeds. So it'll be a surprise i suppose.
Cash is a Cayuga, so I'm doubtful they'll have those. There was a posting for either Mallards (same age 1 week) or rouens (1day old) near me i could purchase off of CL.
Would either of those be a good match? I'd love to find some swedish blue or black ducks but there's not much variety near me
sad.png
what breeds would you suggest?.
Well just for the record Mallards are cute and small but they do fly. Rouens are large breed and look just like huge Mallards so they are pretty too.

Blue Swedes would be nice not sure if TSC would have them but I have seen members get Runners at TSC and khaki Campbells, and Pekins another large breed. Why not go to the SC thread at "where am I where are you" and ask if any one has ducklings i know there are some breeders in SC just can't remember their names right off.

Back
Top Bottom