Wobbly head shaking 4 week old

SteelebrookAcres

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2022
20220213_113344.jpg
Help!! I have a 4 week old cookies and cream chick who I just noticed this morning was wobbly, not really wanting to stand. Shaking her head constantly, and when she does walk or move around she goes backwards. From what I looked up the closest I found was Vit E issues? I isolated her, and started giving her SavAChick with a syringe. Am I doing the right thing? What else can I do and/or what does this sound like? First time chicken owner here..

SaveAChick vitamins and electrolytes in the water is good. You can also get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give a few drops daily plus get her drinking water. With neurological problems you may want to increase the vitamin E with a 300 IU softgel daily. Did you raise the chick, or is it from a hatchery? Could it have suffered a bump to the head or maybe has not been eating and drinking?

SaveAChick vitamins and electrolytes in the water is good. You can also get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give a few drops daily plus get her drinking water. With neurological problems you may want to increase the vitamin E with a 300 IU softgel daily. Did you raise the chick, or is it from a hatchery? Could it have suffered a bump to the head or maybe has not been eating and drinking?
Thank you! I got my chicks from Meyer's as day old chicks. I had 14 chicks, and lost one suddenly on day 3. I have been giving them medicated feed since day 1 and have added a tablespoon of ACV to their daytime waterers. We are entering 4 weeks on Monday for the 13 chicks left and everyone seemed happy and healthy but I did notice this one walking around with her mouth open a lot yesterday. Thought she might have been thirsty, now today she doesn't really stand up. Wobbles when she does, and moves backwards. She will gladly take food from my hand, but doesn't really go to get food on her own. Same with water, except I am forcing it with the syringe. I have been trying to read on this to figure out what it going on and there is everything from Neuro Coccidiosis to Vit E to Mareks and my head is spinning! 😵‍💫

Is she having any runny diarrhea with mucus or blood? Corid can be given if coccidiosis is suspected, but while on Corid, B vitamins should be stopped. E is okay though. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Is she having any runny diarrhea with mucus or blood? Corid can be given if coccidiosis is suspected, but while on Corid, B vitamins should be stopped. E is okay though. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Is it ok to give Corid while giving medicated feed? And how long do the vitamins need to be stopped before corid is started? Her poop looks "normal" from what I could see. I am still learning how to judge their poops. They were all vaccinated for Mareks.. so I am hoping it isn't that. Thank you so much for the responses

I had similar problems when I started. I lost 3 birds ,they all were good then one day started acting odd. Walking funny then one leg would stop working and slowly they would slowly break down about a week tell death. A friend told me it could be a parisite. So I started putting diatomaceous earth. Food grade on the ground they live on and a little in there food. I have not had a problem sence. Maybe this will help you as well. Good luck chicken friend. God bless your coop

Yes the amount of amprollium in feed is so small that it is fine to give it while giving Corid. Just stop vitamin B while giving Corid, then resume if needed when stopping Corid.

Back
Top Bottom