Wobbly hen no idea what is wrong with her though.

doccaroo

Chirping
Mar 31, 2018
Quinlan, TX
My 10 month old Delaware is walking sideways but only when she’s slow, running or fast walk is normal. Picture a horse walking sideways when they are tired. I wasn’t able to get a good video since she’s one that doesn’t care to much about getting caught but this one shows a little of the sideways walk. I did bring her inside after she went to bed to separate her. Her poop is fine and she’s eating and drinking. I did just treat them for lice( not positive on lice but the couple that look like a light molt are only 10 months and she’s 1 of them). I plan on giving her electrolytes and probiotics in the morning and she was given some cat food last week to help her feathers. Any ideas? I don’t think it’s Mareks.

I had a hen once walk backwards across the yard, then never do it again. These types of things including running in circles, may be neurological and sometimes seen with wry neck or torticlolis. Wry neck is just a neurological symptom, which can be caused by a vitamin deficiency, head injury, heredity, and in some diseases, such as Mareks, and others. How fresh is your feed, and what type do you feed? Vitamin E 400 IU, thiamine (vitamin B1,) and the mineral selenium is the usual treatment. It could just be a quirky movement with her also. You could just watch it, or use some of the vitamins.

I had a hen once walk backwards across the yard, then never do it again. These types of things including running in circles, may be neurological and sometimes seen with wry neck or torticlolis. Wry neck is just a neurological symptom, which can be caused by a vitamin deficiency, head injury, heredity, and in some diseases, such as Mareks, and others. How fresh is your feed, and what type do you feed? Vitamin E 400 IU, thiamine (vitamin B1,) and the mineral selenium is the usual treatment. It could just be a quirky movement with her also. You could just watch it, or use some of the vitamins.

They get Purina Layena crumbles. Only treats are a little bird seed mix that is seed, peanut and sunflower seeds and a few bites of bacon on Sundays . Feed is anywhere from 2-3 weeks old to 1 week old depending on which area they are eating from depends on which bag it comes from. Feed is keep in metal cans so is the bird seed. Oh they free range btw.

I have vitamin e that I’m supposed to be taking just c.rush that and put on top of her feed? I’m not freaking out just yet. I think it just started this afternoon when I got home. She’s was still roaming around but I could tell she wasn’t feeling well. I’ll keep her separated for tomorrow at least that’ll let her rest and not get picked on so much from the molting as well.

Here’s a very subtle video (assuming I figured out how to post one correctly) but it doesn’t really show her wobble very well.

I can’t get my video to post. I’ll research this and try again later.

Feed is anywhere from 2-3 weeks old to 1 week old depending on which area they are eating from depends on which bag it comes from. Feed is keep in metal cans so is the bird seed.
I would give her 400IU of Vitamin E daily along with 1/2 tablet of human B-Complex. You can squeeze out the Vit E and crush up the B-Complex and add to some egg.

Have you looked at your feed to make sure it's not moldy? You mention age of feed depending on which area they are eating from - do you leave it in hanging feeders? Any spillage on the ground that may be moldy or spoiled?

primary_d98c79c2-c9c1-49ca-b775-0722e88b8778.png
51J2RqdeEAL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I do see her cross her right leg in front of her body toward the left before she turns right. Is that the wobble? She looks pretty good to me, but if you can see something wrong, good that you are watching closely. Not sure what I would do right now besides vitamin supplement.

I do see her cross her right leg in front of her body toward the left before she turns right. Is that the wobble? She looks pretty good to me, but if you can see something wrong, good that you are watching closely. Not sure what I would do right now besides vitamin supplement.

Yes that’s the wobbly. It’s more regular when she doesn’t know I’m around. Other than this she is good. I’ll give her the vitamins and keep an eye out. If she’s not worse tomorrow I’ll let her go back to the coop tomorrow night.

Regarding the feed, they have bowls on front and side porches that is brought in nightly then feeder in run that is put in coop at night. Dirt and sand floor with concrete paver for feeder both in coop and run. There’s always a chance of feed molding I guess in run from it falling out of feeder but I do shovel it out regularly. They don’t eat out there much anymore (lead hen was killed by a hawk last month so they prefer the porches to eat then roam in their favorite areas they feel safe throughout 2 acres).

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom