1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wobbly pullet with white comb (video)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrjoemomma, Sep 14, 2013.

1. mrjoemomma

mrjoemomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    Just picked up some new pullets today. They are suppose to be black stars. This one is very light and a bit wobbly on her feet. Her comb and face is white too. Should I be concerned? Should I deworm them? If so with what? Two are sneezing too. Thanks in advance. [VIDEO][/VIDEO] They were not kept in the best conditions and smell pretty bad. Can I wash them? Close up of the comb [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

She has the classic "coccidia" stance. ..... she probably needs to be treated for worms also

3. mrjoemomma

Feb 24, 2013
    coccidia stance ?

4. enola

How they stand.......

One of the many signs of coccidia.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Ruffled feathers, loss of appetite, birds act cold, droopy, combs get pale, they lose weight, droppings can be watery, pasty, bloody, light brown to yellow, are all symptoms of coccidiosis. Hopefully it isn't advanced beyond treatment, and the bird is still drinking on its own.

Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Make a fresh solution of either first thing every morning for 5 days. Keep a daily update on this thread of how the bird is doing during treatment. I'll help best I can along the way. Separate the bird if it is weak to the point of other birds picking on her. The sneezing could be secondary infection from stress.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  6. mrjoemomma

Feb 24, 2013
    Thank you Michael. Would the treated water be ok for all the birds to drink?

7. enola

Yes it would be fine all of them to drink the water.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yes, enola stated correctly. Like I said, keep us posted during the 5 days of treatment because there's some follow up to it. Good luck to you and your your pullets. How old are they? Encourage eating just their balanced feed ration right now with the treated water. Make sure feeders are clean and dry and waterers are clean. Make sure there are no stagnant water puddles in the yard they could be drinking from. Give fresh feed every morning. Be sure to watch the one sickly pullet to ensure it is eating and drinking on its own.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by