Woke up to a disaster

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cawooduck, Apr 5, 2009.

1. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Went out this morning to water/feed/check all the birds this morning and round up a foursome of red bantams that are being sold today. Everything is doing fine, until i go in the shop and check on the Coturnix chicks, i open the door and my worst nightmare takes place.......there is no red glow coming from the brooder box.

I look over at the freezer and battery chargers and the lights are on.....the bulb went out. I hear some peeps coming from the box, so without checking i grab the spare bulb and change it out faster than a Nascar pit crew, it was only when the red glow appeared that i seen the results of a cold night...........31 dead chicks, almost half my flock of Cortunix quail.[​IMG] The rest were all huddled up burried in the 3" thick pine shavings, which is the only reason i think some survived. I think if i had just news paper/paper towl down i would have lost them all.

Now i have been raised around farm animals over half my life and have lost some and raised a lot, but this just plain sucked. I went from a brooder that looked like an ant colony, to a battle ground.

Looks like i will be building another brooder today, a different design to accomidate TWO heat lamps. Live and learn. The crappy part is the bulb was new, my bulb from last year is still going strong in the grow out pen for the bantams........go figure.

Well, looks like i will be ordering some more eggs.........Jason

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

3. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Thank you very much LRRM! I built another type of brooder today that is shallower, longer, and has two seperate areas with heat lamps. The chicks seem to dig it a lot more and it will be easier to clean than my other brooder. In about 2 months hopefully the chicks i have now will start laying and i will fill the incubator again!

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    OH my gosh!!! I am soo sorry to hear that!!! [​IMG]

Mine just died the other day but the bantam chicks MADE SURE i noticed wailed their heads off until i took notice and saw OOH woopsie sorry guys! LOL!

Theres a few things I wish I had.

AN alarm for both my brooders AND my incubator.

For the brooders to tell me when the temps get too low so i know a bulb went out and the same for the inc to tell if it's fluctuating. It'd be nice im sure they are out there.....

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh what a nightmare! I'm so sorry for your losses... I already feel like an over-protective mama, if that happened to me I don't know what I'd do [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] How sad. [​IMG]

7. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    Yuck, I am so sorry. It was not your fault. I have kept my chicks indoors. Just in case.

8. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Oh, no. I'm so sorry. It's horribly sad when baby anything die. [​IMG]

9. Lady Lavendar

Lady Lavendar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Houston
    Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's not your fault and I'm glad you have some that survived.

Katrina

10. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    I'm sorry! What an awful feeling that had to have been for you!! I've lost sleep over just that thing happening and have wondered what I need to do to remedy the situation. Your experiance has jolted me enough to go ahead before something awful happens... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by