Woke up to a disaster

cawooduck

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Livermore, CA
Went out this morning to water/feed/check all the birds this morning and round up a foursome of red bantams that are being sold today. Everything is doing fine, until i go in the shop and check on the Coturnix chicks, i open the door and my worst nightmare takes place.......there is no red glow coming from the brooder box.

I look over at the freezer and battery chargers and the lights are on.....the bulb went out. I hear some peeps coming from the box, so without checking i grab the spare bulb and change it out faster than a Nascar pit crew, it was only when the red glow appeared that i seen the results of a cold night...........31 dead chicks, almost half my flock of Cortunix quail.
sad.png
The rest were all huddled up burried in the 3" thick pine shavings, which is the only reason i think some survived. I think if i had just news paper/paper towl down i would have lost them all.

Now i have been raised around farm animals over half my life and have lost some and raised a lot, but this just plain sucked. I went from a brooder that looked like an ant colony, to a battle ground.

Looks like i will be building another brooder today, a different design to accomidate TWO heat lamps. Live and learn. The crappy part is the bulb was new, my bulb from last year is still going strong in the grow out pen for the bantams........go figure.

Well, looks like i will be ordering some more eggs.........Jason

Thank you very much LRRM! I built another type of brooder today that is shallower, longer, and has two seperate areas with heat lamps. The chicks seem to dig it a lot more and it will be easier to clean than my other brooder. In about 2 months hopefully the chicks i have now will start laying and i will fill the incubator again!

OH my gosh!!! I am soo sorry to hear that!!!
hugs.gif

Mine just died the other day but the bantam chicks MADE SURE i noticed wailed their heads off until i took notice and saw OOH woopsie sorry guys! LOL!

Theres a few things I wish I had.

AN alarm for both my brooders AND my incubator.

For the brooders to tell me when the temps get too low so i know a bulb went out and the same for the inc to tell if it's fluctuating. It'd be nice im sure they are out there.....

I'm sorry! What an awful feeling that had to have been for you!! I've lost sleep over just that thing happening and have wondered what I need to do to remedy the situation. Your experiance has jolted me enough to go ahead before something awful happens...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom