Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I do. My neighbor with cattle has a protector donkey, but not because of wolves. It is the coyotes that attempt to kill just born calves while the mother and calf is still vulnerable.

Research studies have shown that in wolf country, the majority of animal losses are due to disease, and those that are lost due to predation are most often lost due to domestic dogs and coyotes. Not wolves. Sure, there is the occasional rouge, but they account for a very tiny percent of actual livestock killed. I trust facts more than I trust hearsay. And here, the deer herd improved in health. Not all hunters and cars can remove the overpopulated deer, especially since hunters only target animals in their prime. A wolf will take a healthy deer if need be, but prefers the sick, lame, and elderly if available. The food chain needs apex predators to do their job.

I for one am glad they are back after the untold slaughter of former years. That wasn't population control, that was outright elimination. And many people believe still that wolves eat the faces of children on a regular basis and other nonsense. Nope, you and your livestock have more to fear from Fido than they do the Big Bad Wolf.

I vote for fencing and limited free ranging of chickens.

Quote:
How many wolves are in Oregon? I live in Wisconsin and we have +600. I work a field job in AK every summer. I've seen wolves and Grizzlies while working far, far away from roads and hospitals. I carry firearms and bear spray, yet I'm still more afraid of WI deer ticks.

Quote:
How many wolves are in Oregon? I live in Wisconsin and we have +600. I work a field job in AK every summer. I've seen wolves and Grizzlies while working far, far away from roads and hospitals. I carry firearms and bear spray, yet I'm still more afraid of WI deer ticks.

X2 A friend of mine died of Lyme disease about 6 years ago. I will be adding chain link this week.

I'm not particularly bloodthirsty, but I must say, if I see something killing my livestock and I can kill it first, I will.

Bill

I think what bothers me is the SSS as a first line of defense. If you are going to have livestock where there are serious preditors make them as safe as you can. Donkey, LLama, emu LGD. Good solid fence.
THEN when something kills by all means protect them, but the OMG there is a wolf it might eat my chickens I must shoot it bothers me. Just my .0002.

Quote:
My goal with this thread is to see if i can do something to keep them aeay from my chickens like maybe a scare crow or peeing around the coop. I'm not going to SHOOT them unless a human life is on the line. Yes i have $$$ invested in my birds and i will protect them legally. I don't want my grand children thinking its ok to break the law whenever you want.

Quote:
My goal with this thread is to see if i can do something to keep them aeay from my chickens like maybe a scare crow or peeing around the coop. I'm not going to SHOOT them unless a human life is on the line. Yes i have $$$ invested in my birds and i will protect them legally. I don't want my grand children thinking its ok to break the law whenever you want.

That was the feeling I got from your posts. I have a lot of faith in Hot Wire, can't think of anything that would intimidate. Good luck.
P.S. I was more responding to the 'just shoot them' responses, sorry if I threadjacked.

Honestly, I doubt the'll have much interest in your chickens. Best bet would make sure the coop/run is secure, maybe run some electric fencing along the outside. It also wouldn't hurt to invest in some guard dogs/animals.

Honestly, I doubt the'll have much interest in your chickens. Best bet would make sure the coop/run is secure, maybe run some electric fencing along the outside. It also wouldn't hurt to invest in some guard dogs/animals.

Quote:
Yep, electric fencing does wonders. Even bears can be warded off with an adequate jolt. Lots of beekeepers keep their hives in an area protected by electric fencing. And if they've had troubles with bears before the fencing goes up, once it is operational, they wrap a few slices of raw bacon on the hot wire. That way, when the bear goes for a taste, he gets a mouthful of OUCH! and learns not to mess with the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom