Wolves - - I doubt I will sleep tonight

My biggest fear as well!
barnie.gif

pips&peeps :

You might want to head out and get some ammo for your gun.......

Yeah, I am thinking that too. If you were in a state which required tags, or such.. I'd say "Not a problem" and stock up. And before anyone even brings in the "Save the wolves!" I will say I do agree, don't eliminate the wildlife. I had Coyote's around here but don't bother them because we coexist peacefully, due to them disappearing there is deer everywhere this year. Which isn't necessarily a problem if you're a hunter like me, but I still think of the non-hunters and a deer running out trashing their cars.

However, you can bet when the Coyote's come back and get close like these wolves I'll be trimming numbers (just like on the nasty little possoms, I/dogs have killed about four or five this year. And that is a lot, not to mention the ones you see dead all over the roads.)

-Daniel​

yes, i looked up some info online and found that wolves will try to eliminate any canine as "competition". Something I did not know-not really an issue in my area, but still interetsted. I hope the op has a more peacful night tonight!

thanks Maizey,

so far so good, its very quiet out tonight, I think yesterday they were likely scoping their grounds, I am positive it was their first night back. with the double door latched up all is secure and even if I let my dogs out in the run nothing can get in, unless they are super acrobatic wolves...lol...so all good now :)

Wolves really aren't much of a threat when your birds are penned up well. If they can't dig under or jump over then most everyone is pretty safe. The reason I said watch your dogs is because they tend to go for dogs here. Either lure them away or take them right in the yard. If it's an easy meal they will take it. That being said, I do like having them around. Seeing them and hearing them is great; now if I had cattle, I don't know. Never had a reason to shoot at one, never felt that threatened,but your DH had them danger close.

Quote:
ohh absolutely, they were quite close, too close for comfort, I would have been scared out of my wits. I now know my birds are penned up real safe. and the dogs too
wink.png
I like having someone like you in my neck of the woods so to speak, because you are all too familiar with everything I deal with or will be dealing with!!

you would have loved the sight this morning, 3 moose out back today. I watched them walk thought the snow and into the bush....

Quote:
ohh absolutely, they were quite close, too close for comfort, I would have been scared out of my wits. I now know my birds are penned up real safe. and the dogs too
wink.png
I like having someone like you in my neck of the woods so to speak, because you are all too familiar with everything I deal with or will be dealing with!!

you would have loved the sight this morning, 3 moose out back today. I watched them walk thought the snow and into the bush....

I get moose here very seldom. Need to go another 20 miles north to see them regularly, but we do get them. Love this country, but it gets so dang cold. Not as cold as you though I'm thinking. The real threat that I have to my birds is bears. Although I built a fortress for my birds a bear will get in if he wants to. Had a close call this year. When I went out late this fall to let them out in the morning I had a bear sitting right behind the coop. Yelled at him, threw a piece of wood at him. He just looked at me. Went back in the house, got the 12 gauge and some bird shot. That convinced him to leave...quickly. Glad I was home when he showed up. I think I caught him casing the joint. He never came back.

If you have the right electric fence charger Bears will not pass it.
We used electric fencing to keep the Polar Bears out of the garbage dumpsters in Northern NWT, successfully. At one point we had to fence the sled dogs too.
They are a lot bigger and stronger than Black Bears.
Polar Bears will hunt humans, so nobody went outside without somebody carrying a gun when the Bears were around, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom