Women in combat...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickened, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
  2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I do not support drafts or many of the combat roles the US has engaged or *not* engaged in. That said, as long as a registry does exist, yes, the rules should apply equally to both genders. I like how it is presented as a gotcha topic though, as if no one who supports changing combat rules has considered this. X)

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Why worry about the draft/ There has not been one in ages . The military is over staffed as it is right now. They have QSP and QMP list already out or still coming out to get rid of underperforming, surplus and permanent profile soldiers. THe one big problem is with requiring women to sign up is how they would the government handle single mothers. Single parents in the military have to come up with a care plan or get out right now already.

4. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    I believe single mothers should be handled the same as single fathers, and I believe single parents should be handled the same as families with both parents employed (or drafted in this case) by the military.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    We have women firefighters, police, CIA, FBI, Doctors, Paramedics, all put their lives at risk daily, most see combat, and are not restricted due to what gender they possess.

The fact is, women see combat in the military, but because they could not be apart of an official combat unite, they could not rise up the ranks and gain certain promotions.

So we still have women getting killed, seeing combat, fighting, but they are classified in such a way that they can't get promotions to increase their benefits for seeing the same horrors as the men see?

It isn't about women in combat, it's about keeping qualified women from presenting competition for better jobs in the military, it is about an antiquated notion of femininity and masculinity, it is about inequality and the desire to control another group of human beings.

I am fine with women allowed in combat and all of the perks and draw backs that come with it.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Equal rights for all. :)

7. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    ! (<-- that's an exclamation point. doesn't really play so well on my screen)

8. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I think if you are the right person for the job (whatever that may be) it doesn't matter if you're male, female, black, white etc...

I didn't know that the military uses drafts still....[​IMG]

9. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
  10. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The likelyhood of a draft is almost nonexistent. I really think that combat has been reduced to operating drones and other technical warfare. The exception may be special forces and then as long as they do not water down the requirements from current levels like they did with firefighters then I have no problem with women in combat... but I would ponder their womanhood... Somehow I cannot see a woman deficating in her pants as a sniper to not reveal her position. I think that those that support the idea probably have no real understanding of what may be required of them and that concerns me a little. Women that prefer combat positions is all fine and dandy but throwing the draft equation in even if it just means registering somehow I don't think the majority of american women will be thrilled about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by