wonder what to look for when candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddipuppy, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Maggizzle35

Maggizzle35 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Hi there: I wish I could show you one of mine. You should see red veins and a tiny little splotch in the middle with a tiny beating heart. If it is clear without veins after 5 days, it's typical a dud or infertile.

I have a bunch waiting to hatch myself and some new ones. Curious as to how you took your picture? I use a small flash light to candle mine and have been having great success.

Hope this helps,
    Margaret:)

2. Maggizzle35

Maggizzle35 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Boy do I feel stupid, I thought you were asking what to look and it's pretty obvious from your blog, that you know exactly what you are doing. Sorry about that. I haven't been on here in a bit and thought you might be someone new looking for help and you aren't. But while i have your attention maybe you can help me. I have noticed some of mine look like they have just about developed, but then stop. This might sound gross, but the chick is just about fully formed but the belly hasn't completely finished developing. Do you have any ideas on what might be causing this? If I'm not turning them enough or something ? You're experience, after making a fool of myself, would be greatly appreciated. Most of mine have hatched nicely but my last batch looked so promising and then didn't hatch. I'm too curious so I have to see what went wrong.

Thanks for any help,
    Margaret

3. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    Hi there, So, when it is all over and done is that what you find? A fully formed chick except for the belly that isn't alive? What humidity are you using and at what point do you notice the stop in development? I know for me, humidity has been the make or break factor in incubating. I think my greatest failures have been too much humidity before lockdown, and not enough afterwards.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    For me since feb, 75 % humidity has been working wonders for me. Others will tell you it is too high, but honestly you have to find what works best for you.
    Trial and error I tried the 60% and ended up losing 1/2 my hatch this year I decided I would try something different and for the first time ever 2 times now I have got 100% hatch rates I am now working on hatch 3 for 2011 .

In 2010 I did many many hatches and would set around 42 eggs and only get back 6 - 10 chicks at a time. So something was really off about that.

Now that I have adjusted some things and let go of my worry for the first 18 days things have gotten better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by