wondering???? broody???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmclaughlin, Mar 25, 2015.

1. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have a cuckoo maran that hatched a late set of chicks late August... Molted... thought she has been laying( and she might still be) but I find her on eggs a lot when I check on the girl, she's is keeping them warm during the cold the last few weeks lol!! No frozen eggs for me! Now I've been noticing small feathers in the nesting box..yup her chest is quite thin! Could she be broody? Or will she become full time broody!?
    Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she's not sitting on the nest all night but rather going to roost, she's not really broody.

3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I have one that does this kind of thing before she goes broody. She'll sit on the nest a lot, often for hours. She'll growl and bite when I move her out (I don't want her to go full on broody). She doesn't sleep in there though and she does spend some time outside the nest so she's not broody yet but usually when she acts like this, it happens eventually.

4. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks I recognize the signs... thought it was odd to go to the nesting box and find feathers.. and to find her chest a bit bare too

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That is a sign so she wants to but until she spends 23.5 hours a day on the nest it won't work.

6. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks
    I will continue to watch her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by