Wondering how you have set up the inside of smaller coops

I like your coop design. Love the tile. You’ve got better windows in there than in my house. Lol.
Seems comfortable with plenty of space to roost at the moment, need an updated pic when you get all the chucks inside.
Wish I had all that space for them to roam around in a run.

It’s really nice. We didn’t paint our roost boards in one of our coops & I found it very difficult to clean them. In our summer coop, I painted the inside & the roost boards & it I’m much happier it.
93BEF068-BC57-4B89-AB01-49956E1E0B0C.jpeg

Please share the inside of your smaller coops. I have a 5x6 coop that we built this spring. I am not 100% happy with the way the plans have the roosts set up. I am wondering how others have set up the inside of their smaller coops. Where are your roosts? Food and water? Thanks!
OMG YOU'RE IN NIWOT?!?! Yay we're super close! I lived there many years! I'm in Longmont now; probably a 15 minute drive if that. I'd be happy to hook you up with some new chickies when you're ready! :jumpy

I live in northern Alberta and as you can imagine we get long hard winters. -40c and -50c at times. I have to keep my birds locked in their coop for about 5 months of the year. Their food and water is in the coop and the coops insulated and heated. Quite alot of trouble to keep chickens up here. And we have major predators. Grizzlies wolves and coyotes. As well as foxes and some weazuls. Only thing you can do to stop Grizzlies is use a large lead pill and don't miss that first shot. They may not give you another before they are on top of you. I built a heavy run with oak pallets as the walls and construction wire for its cover. I don't use chicken wire. It's to light to keep out predators. It's good for holding in the chickens and that's about it. But the best repellent is the string of electric fence around the base of the coop and run. Works excellent. We are quite far out in the bush and never had a predator problem. Our dogs hit that wire once and ran howling for the house lol. They've never been near it since. Works the same for coyotes and foxes. I've seen them all around the ranch but they never bother the coop. They just admire it from a distance lol. Try the electric wire. It's easy to set up and gives ya piece of mind. At least it has for me.

Yes I agree I painted my whole coop white latex , it was so clean . I vacuum it each spring with a shop vac and now it’s light grey . We made nesting box and roost in one piece to save space . Boxes with roost on top and sand on top of poop boards. Works great . We have linoleum on floors it freezes in winter make sure to cover your tiles they will hold the cold .

Hahahaha!!!! That is the cleanest bird ever!!! Not many eggs, but clean and doesn't eat much! It was a placeholder for me until the real birds arrived! Thanks for catching it!

I plan on 10. 4 silkies, 2 Cochin bantams, 1 welsummer, 1 Ameraucana, 1 Easter Egger and 1 Barred Rock. I think one of the sillies USA rooster, which would give me 9.
I have some silkies hatching today! I have cochin eggs too but they're LF.

Thanks so much for that bit of info!!! Looks like I will be painting this weekend! Latex?

Yes, we used KILZ Latex primer. It covered the OSB walls well. I think we only applied an addition coat of paint on top of that on the roost bars. I can’t remember if we painted the walls too, over the primer. So far, I’ve only taken the roost bars out & washed them down. I’ve never washed the walls. I just sweep them with a broom when I do deep cleaning. They really haven’t gotten crazy dirty.

Back
Top Bottom