Wondering if one of my Barred Rocks is almost ready to lay?

Wynnie

Songster
May 1, 2020
Hey y’all! It’s been awhile!
I have returned with yet another question! All our chickens should come into lay in the next few months, but one of our Barred Rocks in particular is looking VERY red, and I read that one of the signs they are getting ready to lay their first egg, is that their combs get bigger and redder. Our other two barred rocks are looking pretty red as well, but not as red as this gal. Just wondering if anybody could confirm or deny my suspicion? Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• 3F6B4864-B816-4AFF-920C-BFFF7C5D33E1.jpeg
    3F6B4864-B816-4AFF-920C-BFFF7C5D33E1.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DDB1CEAB-6F96-40DE-B701-2DA86F5C67FF.jpeg
    DDB1CEAB-6F96-40DE-B701-2DA86F5C67FF.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 27
  • 705FDC82-8535-4948-8001-DF333418DF17.jpeg
    705FDC82-8535-4948-8001-DF333418DF17.jpeg
    620.1 KB · Views: 26
She definitely looks ready to lay any time now! Does she squat down when you put your hand near her? That with the full comb and wattles is a pretty sure sign you'll be seeing an egg really soon.
That was the quickest reply ever! Thank you for that! I will have to go back out to the coop and see if she does that. How soon should I expect her first egg? Or is there any way to tell?

I usually see an egg within a week of when they start squatting :)
She doesn’t really squat, per say, when I put my hand over her. She maybe does a little bit, but I have seen her dig a divet in the run and squat into that. We have nest boxes in the coop for them that they have access to all parts of the day Does that mean anything?

Are your nests open and ready with bedding and fake eggs?
Cause she sure does look close!
Squatting and/or increased pelvic spacing can happen within a day or a couple weeks of eggs.
The most definite sign I've seen is when they start messing up the nests, egg within days.

Are your nests open and ready with bedding and fake eggs?
Cause she sure does look close!
Squatting and/or increased pelvic spacing can happen within a day or a couple weeks of eggs.
The most definite sign I've seen is when they start messing up the nests, egg within days.
We have fake eggs, but I wasn’t quite sure when to put them in. I’ll definitely do that when I get home. Our chickens have been messing up the nests for months now so I don’t know how that translates in relation to egg laying, in our hens’ case anyway. They’re all a little nutty 😂.

Back
Top Bottom